SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking advantage of the GM Employee Discount offer that just came out, for a Saab 9-3, preferably the Aero. I have a 1995 Corvette which I like but I think I am going to sell it and get a sport sedan because I need to be able to seat three. I want something that is not too common, and has some uniqueness, so Saab enters the picture. I've read the reviews of the 9-3 but none seemed to address the performance of the Aero trim level with the 210hp engine. I'd like a sport sedan that can at least do 14.5 in the 1/4 mile, or get there with relatively inexpensive bolt-on modification (that won't compromise engine longevity or reliability). 0-60 I'd like to be in the 6's.

I like the "not everyone has one" appeal of Saab, and the recent discount offer makes it all the more appealing, but I also have a heavy foot and like to feel myself planted back in the seat during hard acceleration, and want to make sure that the Saab 9-3 Aero can achieve this out of the box, and that it will happily accept some bolt on mods to further enhance it's pull out of the hole and on the fly.

Discuss...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SaabNoob said:
Thinking about taking advantage of the GM Employee Discount offer that just came out, for a Saab 9-3, preferably the Aero. I have a 1995 Corvette which I like but I think I am going to sell it and get a sport sedan because I need to be able to seat three. I want something that is not too common, and has some uniqueness, so Saab enters the picture. I've read the reviews of the 9-3 but none seemed to address the performance of the Aero trim level with the 210hp engine. I'd like a sport sedan that can at least do 14.5 in the 1/4 mile, or get there with relatively inexpensive bolt-on modification (that won't compromise engine longevity or reliability). 0-60 I'd like to be in the 6's.

I like the "not everyone has one" appeal of Saab, and the recent discount offer makes it all the more appealing, but I also have a heavy foot and like to feel myself planted back in the seat during hard acceleration, and want to make sure that the Saab 9-3 Aero can achieve this out of the box, and that it will happily accept some bolt on mods to further enhance it's pull out of the hole and on the fly.

Discuss...

Here is the deal on the 9-3: (coming from a long term Nissan Owner) - last car 2002 Maxima 6speed :):):)

Saab Pros:
1. Different then anybody else on the road
2. You are not driving one of those 3 series Bimmers that every Yuppy seems to dream about :)
3. Best seats in the world
4. Very cool options that other cars don't have
5. Nice gearbox
6. Turbo :)
7 Bi-xenon lights
8. Nice handling
9. no torque steer
10. front wheel drive
11. huge trunk
12. Good gas milage

Saab pros
1. 4 cyl
2. 0-60 is Ok, but not in 6 seconds.
3. This is no Lexus, though assembly quality is good, there are still issues with rattles, creeks, etc.
4. GM is your parrent
5. Extended warranty is a good idea if you plan to keep it for long
6. Small turbo lag
7. Maintenace could be more then usual, as not many aftermarket parts are available and it is tough to find a good mechanic willing to work on saabs and know what he is doing.

So my opinion is if you are under warranty and have a good cooperative dealer - go for it. Good dealer makes a difference. Warranty makes a big difference.

·
Banned
209 Posts
schernov said:
Here is the deal on the 9-3: (coming from a long term Nissan Owner) - last car 2002 Maxima 6speed :):):)
talk about fast cars. The 3.5 liter v-6 they put standard in those things kick *****. That is one rowdiest motors ive ever seen.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
SaabNoob said:

Discuss...
Well, the 9-3 Aero that you want is not out yet, and probably won't be available at any discount for some time. They are releasing 250HP/258TQ V6 version of the Aero for 2006 that I believe MotorTrend claims they got 0-60 around 6.0 with the 6 speed manual, and 7.0 with auto. The 2.0t 175 HP engine will be gone and the 2.0T 210 HP will be the base engine with the Aero going to the V6. The reviews of this new engine have been glowing considering it's not even out yet. Additionally that V6 has a lot of top end for further aftermarket tuning if you are willing to deal with the dynamics of a FWD car with that much power. I don't think SAAB will tune it any higher until they can offer AWD.

That said the stock 9-3SS Aero with the 210HP engine is no slouch for a 4-cylinder engine that can get you over 30MPG when cruising the interstate, and it is truly great for that. Additionally many have had good luck with the PPC unit from BSR. This is a device that plugs into the diagnostics/tech-II port under the dash and tunes the engine. Stage 1 will take the engine from 210HP/221TQ to 247HP/286TQ without any necessary hardware modifications, though many choose to use a free flowing filter. You will probably see a banner for this product and the company that sells it at the top of this page. It's been running around $850 delivered to the U.S. Whether or not it lessens the reliability or durability of the engine will probably be variable based on how hard you drive the car. Many have used it with no issues. It also allows you to detune the engine for dealer visits though apparently with close analysis the fact that the engine has been tuned is not invisible should they choose to really, really look (like if your engine blows and they want to know why).

You can find a lot more info on this and other tuning possibilities on the performance board.

Hope all that helps,

John

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
rugbybrado said:
talk about fast cars. The 3.5 liter v-6 they put standard in those things kick *****. That is one rowdiest motors ive ever seen.
Yea, it is fun to pull away from a unsuspecting v8 mustungs :) although wheel hop is annoying. VQ35 is a sweet motor. Next generation Z and Infiniti G will have a bored out vQ40 :) - now that would be nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife drives the aero vert and the pick up and handling is quite nice. I have the G35 coupe which is an amazing car with and under 6 sec 0-60. Both of our cars are about the same between 40-80. The saab has amazing pickup on the freeway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
johnc_22 said:
That said the stock 9-3SS Aero with the 210HP engine is no slouch for a 4-cylinder engine that can get you over 30MPG when cruising the interstate, and it is truly great for that. Additionally many have had good luck with the PPC unit from BSR. This is a device that plugs into the diagnostics/tech-II port under the dash and tunes the engine. Stage 1 will take the engine from 210HP/221TQ to 247HP/286TQ without any necessary hardware modifications, though many choose to use a free flowing filter. You will probably see a banner for this product and the company that sells it at the top of this page. It's been running around $850 delivered to the U.S. Whether or not it lessens the reliability or durability of the engine will probably be variable based on how hard you drive the car. Many have used it with no issues. It also allows you to detune the engine for dealer visits though apparently with close analysis the fact that the engine has been tuned is not invisible should they choose to really, really look (like if your engine blows and they want to know why).

You can find a lot more info on this and other tuning possibilities on the performance board.

Hope all that helps,

John
It does. I think the stock 9-3 Sport Sedan is what I have in mind, with the optional 210hp engine, plus this also depends on finding a base 9-3ss on a participating dealer's lot somewhere that is optioned with the stronger engine. Might be a challenge to find before the discount promo ends in late July.

That PPC module sounds like something I would get. That's a substantial power increase just for a tuning module.

I hate to get rid of my corvette but I truly do need better fuel economy and the ability to seat 3 + driver.

I keep my cars a long time, so *if* I do get one, I'll have to eventually get a factory service manual because I do my own wrenching after warranty expires. If there's a lot of GM in the new Saab's I'll be okay, but if there's a lot of Saab, then I'll be treading new ground with my wrenches later on-- that's not to be misinterpretted, I mean that on a familiarity-with-the-internals standpoint, not on a reliability standpoint... The less GM they have in them the more reliable they probably are, lol!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SaabNoob said:
It does. I think the stock 9-3 Sport Sedan is what I have in mind, with the optional 210hp engine, plus this also depends on finding a base 9-3ss on a participating dealer's lot somewhere that is optioned with the stronger engine. Might be a challenge to find before the discount promo ends in late July.

That PPC module sounds like something I would get. That's a substantial power increase just for a tuning module.

I hate to get rid of my corvette but I truly do need better fuel economy and the ability to seat 3 + driver.

I keep my cars a long time, so *if* I do get one, I'll have to eventually get a factory service manual because I do my own wrenching after warranty expires. If there's a lot of GM in the new Saab's I'll be okay, but if there's a lot of Saab, then I'll be treading new ground with my wrenches later on-- that's not to be misinterpretted, I mean that on a familiarity-with-the-internals standpoint, not on a reliability standpoint... The less GM they have in them the more reliable they probably are, lol!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. :)
Well, if you go to a dealer, they will locate one for you. Where are you located? Are you looking for Auto or manual? My dealer has a silver Aero on the lot. No Nav, maybe xenons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
schernov said:
Well, if you go to a dealer, they will locate one for you. Where are you located? Are you looking for Auto or manual? My dealer has a silver Aero on the lot. No Nav, maybe xenons.
I'm in Indiana. Prefer manual. The steptronic (?) auto is tempting though.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've got the auto and it's great as far as automatics go but if I had it to do over again, even in Atlanta rush hour traffic, I'd take the manual because it's just so much more fun to drive when not in rush hour traffic. I also think you can wring a bit more performance out of the engine with the manual as well.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SaabNoob said:
I'm in Indiana. Prefer manual. The steptronic (?) auto is tempting though.
Where in Indiana? I am in IN as well :). Get a manual!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SaabNoob said:
My brother lives up there. He's a fireman.
I work in Valpo :) we should start a Saab Club or something...

·
Registered
264 Posts
As a former Vette owner (96 Collector Edition) I can tell you that I really love my Saab. The Corvette is a completly different car and if you are trying to compare raw power in a 4 door go buy a Subaru WRX STI. I wanted a bit of luxury built in, so I bought the 9-3.

I am finding parts and speed upgrades for the Saab a flustration. You can buy bolt on HP parts for a 4th Gen Vette anywhere. The Saab you can't even get a straight answer on an upgraded waste valve. The cars are easily modified in Offshore form but Stateside emmisions and regulations really leash the platform.

The front wheel torque steer is going to drive you nuts for a while. The seats are ALMOST as Comfy as the Vette (I had Sport seats).

You can actually park the Saab in a parking lot without wondering if someone is going to mess with it. People have a tendancy to ignore the 9-3ss until it passes them.

The top speed leaves a little to desire. I have a little stretch of road out in the desert of eastern oregon that I open up a little on. I was out there yesterday Vette=147mph, 9-3= 126mph. The Saab is not as comfortable at speeds over 120mph as the Vette. Steering input is very twitchy.

Given the option of a gen 4 Vette or the 9-3ss in Vector (Areo) trim I choose the Saab. ( not withstanding ZR-1 or Grand Sport)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1979&stc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oohya, that's some good info, thx!

As long as the 9-3 Arc could be bumped up to near 250hp, that would my target, just to get it into BMW 330i range. If that tuning module mentioned above really yields 247hp (advertised hp gain vs. real world hp gain are never the same it seems), that would be the ticket.

So far the stumbling block is the nearest dealer is an hour and 45 minutes away in Louisville, KY. Not as far as purchase goes, but if any warranty work needed to be done...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
johnc_22 said:
Additionally many have had good luck with the PPC unit from BSR. This is a device that plugs into the diagnostics/tech-II port under the dash and tunes the engine. Stage 1 will take the engine from 210HP/221TQ to 247HP/286TQ without any necessary hardware modifications, though many choose to use a free flowing filter. You will probably see a banner for this product and the company that sells it at the top of this page. It's been running around $850 delivered to the U.S.
John
I went to saabparts.com and it looks like the BSR PPC unit only is sold for model years up to 2002. Couldn't find where they offered one for '03 - 05's. :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
SaabNoob said:
I went to saabparts.com and it looks like the BSR PPC unit only is sold for model years up to 2002. Couldn't find where they offered one for '03 - 05's. :confused:

If you look in the pfs web site you'll find the PPC for our SS's. Many have purchased it, and I haven't read a review that doesn't rave about the performance benefit of the upgrade. Most have found it to be completely reliable, 'though a very small minority have had problems...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts