SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the saab life, and my new 88 t9OO (5spd) has linkage issues that need adjusted. I have been searching for days and i just cant get the right info or enough to make sense of how to do it. So if someone would like to help me out and maybe even psooibly give a step by step i would be greatful! I love this car and really want to get it on the road again. Thank You!

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
nathan214 said:
I saw that and it really doesnt help me
"Linkage issues" is way too vague.
As I always told my customers: Tell me what problem you're having, not what you think is the cause.
If you describe your problem, we can try to provide useful suggestions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that would be much more helpful for you. When i first recieved the car it had no 3rd or 5th gear (apparently when the new clutch was installed that got messed up somehow). So i was driving to work the other day and i was in first and it started grinding and making an awful noise, so i shifted into 2nd the same happened and it popped out. So i shifted into 4th to try and get to a side road off the main st and it just did not want to move. I had a friend come look at it with me and when put into reverse after about 10 ft it locked up the front brakes and killed it. My house was just up the hill so i put it in first and was very very gentle and it made it half way up the hill and died (in the middle of the road half way up a hill just before a blind corner! Fantastic lol!) and stuck in 1st. Pulled and pulled it would not release until we pulled it. So i tried dicking with the linkage a little and hasn't done much. So that is my current dilema. Thanks

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
What you describe could be a blown transmission (the front end locking up).
If, when you try to move it, the front wheels lock up, then work for another few feet if you reverse to free it up, that's a bad sign.
You could try jacking it up an inch or two, and trying to run it in gear. If it locks up, you're in real trouble.
CAUTION: It could lurch off the jack if it locks up.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
Probably not, but it would be easier to tell if you didn't keep the year and model secret.
If it's earlier than 1988, the front brakes could lock up in reverse, but the grinding you describe is unlikely to be a brake problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It never locked up the front brakes when it was going forward only that once in reverse and it made it home the 1/4 of a mile on the flat spots just fine without locking em up...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
"Linkage issues" is way too vague.
As I always told my customers: Tell me what problem you're having, not what you think is the cause.
If you describe your problem, we can try to provide useful suggestions.
Jim,what about the linkage on a 92 automatic?Mine shifts from first into third.So smoothly that I didn't notice at first.No slippage,smooth as silk.I think it could be the cable to the shifter,as it won't manually go all the way down to first.:confused: Any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, Did what you said, jacked up the car and it funcioned normally. Wheels spun etc. just fine...any other ideas?

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
What happens when you drive it?
If the front wheels lock up, and it's not the brakes, it's the transmission.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When i drive it, it either pops out of gear or grinds really badly, and gets stuck in gear and makes some god awful noises along with the grinding. The one time i tried to go in reverse after i discovered this it went about 15ft and what seemed like locked up the front wheels, jerked really hard and killed itself...

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
nathan214 said:
... pops out of gear or grinds really badly, and gets stuck in gear and makes some god awful noises along with the grinding. The one time i tried to go in reverse after i discovered this it went about 15ft and what seemed like locked up the front wheels, jerked really hard and killed itself...
That sounds pretty terminal.
Keep in mind that cars can't really be diagnosed on the internet. If you're not sure, have a professional evaluate it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts