SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pump in my 89 900 turbo has died.In my 1990 non turbo 900 I have a new(less than 6 months) oem fuel pump.Would the turbo run on the non turbo fuel pump?Are they even compatible?Thanks in advance.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Do the pumps have any flow specs on them? You could look up that information from the part number. Fuel flow at a specific pressure is what you're after. If the non-turbo pump's flows at least as much fuel as the turbo pump then you'll be fine.

You could also compare parts in the EPC.

Would a 1990 US car be Bosch LH2.4 instead of LH2.2? Did that change bring any pump differences?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
All I know about this is that an old 8 valve pump has the highest pressure/flow rate to fire the mechanical injectors.

Give it a try if it fits. You'll know if it works boosting 5th into red on a hill.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
jetman said:
All I know about this is that an old 8 valve pump has the highest pressure/flow rate to fire the mechanical injectors.

Give it a try if it fits. You'll know if it works boosting 5th into red on a hill.
8 valve pumps are also larger in diameter and rather hard to find. :confused:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Matthew said:
Would a 1990 US car be Bosch LH2.4 instead of LH2.2? Did that change bring any pump differences?
Yes, LH 2.4. Don't know about fuel pump changes. I would suspect not, but ....:roll:

·
Registered
751 Posts
while on this subject, is it possible to put a c900 turbo fuel pump into a turbo 99?

·
Registered
906 Posts
GearHead said:
The fuel pump in my 89 900 turbo has died.In my 1990 non turbo 900 I have a new(less than 6 months) oem fuel pump.Would the turbo run on the non turbo fuel pump?Are they even compatible?Thanks in advance.
I don't believe they are interchangeable...they are two different styles with two different types of fuel line connections IIRC.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
if i recall correctly it should work. the n/a fuel pumps actually run at a few psi higher pressure than the turbo fuel pumps. i forget the details, but some fuel pumps had a 4 pin connector, and some had a 2 pin connector. you can plug the 2 plug into the back of the 4 plug socket and it will work fine...thats how my 89 is running right now. if for some reason you cant get everything to work as a drop in, you can always swap the pump itself into the rubber gromet, and splice the wiring...

so the bottom line is yes, you should be able to get it to work.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
while i am thinking about it, the pressure difference is only like 4 or 5 psi different. i believe the n/a fuel pumps were at 48 psi or so at the pump, and kept at 44.1 psi at the regulator. and the turbos were 43 or 45 psi at the pump and 36.75 at the regulator.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Even though the connectors in the housing could be different, I would assume the motor itself is similar. Swap it into the old housing. But be careful the plastic bits tend t be very brittle.

Whats with everyones fuel pumps going out lately?? its "suspicious"

I just replaced mine. Im afraid the brand new one may be making some undesireable noises alread, unless its my exhaust screeching on something...:roll:

I say the more pressure the better. You have a regulator anyway.
My new pump is something like 75gph.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I believe that the turbo fuel pump is a little bigger and you have to find a way for it to fit. But my bud put a turbo fuel pump on his N/a car and it worked. So im guessing the N/a fuel pump will work on the turbo car.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Matthew said:
Not unless you're changing the 99 to EFi.

All 99s were either carb or K-Jet mechanical fuel injection. All 900 turbos were electronic fuel injection. Different pumps.
Are early 8 valve turbos not k-jet?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
eeuroparts.com lists a different fuel pump part number for the two.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
EvanD said:
But my bud put a turbo fuel pump on his N/a car and it worked. So im guessing the N/a fuel pump will work on the turbo car.
Sounds like a dangerous assumption.

Other way round may be a safer assumption - but a Turbo's going to want a damn sight higher peak fuel flow.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Matthew said:
Yes you're right - 8v turbos are K-Jet. I should have said all 16v turbos are EFi :D
Normally I would have blasted you right away, but I was already embarrassingly wrong once yesterday!

·
Registered
751 Posts
i ask about the 900 pump in the 99 becuase the ancilaries to the 99 pump are ruined. theres a rubber sleve that fits around the inlet to the pump which has disintegrated over the years. anyone have any ideas on solving this problem?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
jimmy, the 8v pump had all the rubber bits on/round it, and has just the small metal pump in the middle, whereas the later ones are a large plastic canister, sorry don't know what went in 99's (only a cadbury's flake:cheesy: )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts