SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock toe settings are designed to work with the compliance in the stock bushings - toe will vary on acceleration and deceleration much more and the thus the dynamic setting will be different. Anyone here who is running with polybushings ever had their toe adjusted differently to the stock setting and how did it change the feel of the car. I'm still getting this slightly vague and unstable feeling when driving on the M-way and have heard that these cars are super sensitive to the toe setting. My current setting is 0deg and 13mins total toe in but this was done on my old 18"' 'drug-dealer' wheels. I'm tempted to go nearer to O deg.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You know how I do mine :D

Gone out 1/2 flat to got her how I like it with the revised ride height.

But yes, the amount of play in your bushes will 'set' the dynamic toe at cruising speed. So in theory, less toe for stiffer bushes as the wheels don't get pushed back so far.

Perhaps the 'try it and see' method of adjustment is not technical enough :p

·
Registered
771 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
You know how I do mine :D

Gone out 1/2 flat to got her how I like it with the revised ride height.

But yes, the amount of play in your bushes will 'set' the dynamic toe at cruising speed. So in theory, less toe for stiffer bushes as the wheels don't get pushed back so far.

Perhaps the 'try it and see' method of adjustment is not technical enough :p
i prefer a couple degrees of toe out

trying to get oversteer in fwd cars sucks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of degree's:eek: - are you sure you don't mean mins? - Can you drive it in a straight line like this without having to constantly correct the steering? Why do you want oversteer?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Widen the front track with 20mm spacers, set front toe in at -2, add stiffer rear ARB....

Slight understeer when pushed.......:cool:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm after straightline stability at the moment - most of my driving is on the M-way. It's pretty neutral when pushed hard into country road corners (koni's full soft and 38psi all round) but I can induce over or understeer with slight adjustment to tyre pressures or shock settings.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You guys ever sit back, look @ what you type, and think you take things a little TOO seriously?

What are you doing on the M-way that "straight line stability" really matters?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to drive comfortably in a straight line without having to feed in steering corrections everytime I go over a slight indulation in the road or get hit by a bit of sidewind - this is a normal expectation from a car - straightline stability.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So, set toe to zero, camber to zero and run high-profile tires @ 30psi
problem solved.
All the straight-line stability you could ever need!

Really... you can't have both.

You'll have a car that turns well, or goes straight well...or a compromise in one for the other.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
mike saunders said:
Widen the front track with 20mm spacers, set front toe in at -2, add stiffer rear ARB....

Slight understeer when pushed.......:cool:
-2? Sounds reasonable. Check!
Stiffer rear ARB? Check!

Don't understand spacer part though :confused:

G86NT: Straight line stability very useful for the normal run to work and back also. A twitchy, wandering thing isn't good for that ;oops:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G96nt said:
So, set toe to zero, camber to zero and run high-profile tires @ 30psi
problem solved.
All the straight-line stability you could ever need!

Really... you can't have both.

You'll have a car that turns well, or goes straight well...or a compromise in one for the other.
Zero toe will lead to instability and a loose feel as the small amount of play in all the suspension and steering joints will cause the wheels to wander about. Negative or positive toe takes up the slack by putting the joints under compression or tension. Toe in creates straight line stability at the expense of turn in but too much wears the tyres. Toe out makes for fast turn in but instability in a straight line. I know what these things do:roll: - I just want someone to tell me what they have set their toe to with poly bushes.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
So do we have a difinitive setting? I know Abbott has the rear setting up on the website. But what do we want for the front for var. applications?

·
Registered
933 Posts
It would be nice to know what people think for both strait line and cornering, the shop I work in does alignments and I could probally get a free one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts