SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not being too good at electrics on cars, i'm wondering where to start when I try and sort out the hazard lights.

so far i have checked the fuse is ok... which is quite good for me.... and it is ok.

all indicators work fine
can't hear any relay working when i try and put the hazards on
switch doesn't not light up (if that's what it should do) when switched on.

any ideas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the bulbs flash for the turn signals, it can only be the Hazard Switch or the Relay. Check the relay first, as I have never heard of the switch going. The relay is behind the fuse panel. You have to do a lot of disassembling to get at the hazard switch.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
The switch should light up and blink (mine does). I have never heard of a switch failing either but there is always a first.

Before you go digging for the relay, check the switch out since it should be a bit easier and it would suck to have to take all of that apart only to find a perfectly good relay.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your call Gazraa, but remember to disconnect the battery first no matter what you do Just so you don't fry some pricey electronics!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thats a good question! I'm not sure i had a local Saab dealer do it when the car was MOT'd but they siad it was the relay. Sorry mate that i can help you anymore :roll:

Can anyone help with this?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
indicator/hazard relay is located behind the fusebox inside car on passenger side. on mine (1996) its below the airbag as I don't have a glovebox. I think the relay is the tall green one at the back. some folks on here more adept than you & I, have described dry solder joints & repairs but you'll pick one up from a scrapyard for a couple of pounds. I had exactly the same symptom as yourself & it was the relay at fault, but there was nothing visibly wrong with it to the untrained eye ;)

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
gazraa said:
i hate electrics...... it just never makes sense :roll:
Man did you buy the wrong car then :).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehehe they make perfect sense when they work..... which luckily the rest of the electrics on my car seem to do fine

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've had the same problem with the hazards not working on the car since I got it - indicators were fine, but the hazards were dead. Well, guess what, I discovered the problem.

The relay itself is fine - take it out and look at it from the front. You'll see that there is a crosswise lug at the front, and at the back of the relay there are two smaller lugs - these are prone to being bent, and as a result don't make contact.

You can check this theory with the relay still in. Put your hazard lights on and gently move the relay l - r and f - b if the hazards begin to activate when you move the relay, then you know what the problem is.

To resolve, simply (gently) bend the affected lugs back to (or off of) straight, and hey presto, you have working hazard lights.

Hope this saves people money.

Kenneth

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the tip Kenneth, very useful. Once I've got my cylinder head back on and the car running again I'll be able to get to work on the hazards. Hopefully it's as simple a problem.... or rather as simple a fix as you managed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not that I know anything about electronics but; it seems odd to me that there is a relay dedicated to the hazard lights... is this the only thing that it relays? Are these things like fuses that have a couple of different components on the line? Are relays something that a tester can test?

Any one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts