SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was very shocked when I noticed that the brake lights on my just-purchased C900 were not working! To make a long story short, I took pretty much the whole day today taking apart the car to figure out where the fault was. It turns out it was in the brake light switch. I wrestled with the trim and managed to get enough off (without breaking anything!) to access the switch. I unscrewed it and popped it open, and I found that the plastic plunger had deformed to the point where it was preventing the switch from ever making contact. I was able to trim the deformities away with a razor blade and it is back working as good as new. Well, nearly so. But man is that a bugger to get to.

Just thought I'd share that; something to consider if your brake lights aren't working.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
perfect thread allready made! i'm dooing my switch, my switch sitcks, brake lights stay on sometimes which prevents anything above base boost and i see the light on in the back at night. the issues is i finally took apart the dash and can see the old switch; however, my replcement looks the same but doesn't have a spot for the vacuum line that goes into the old one! is this necessary to have?

(edit), also do these cars come prewired for fog lights? i have the rear wiper option which takes up the button slot for fog lights; but, i have some spliced wires/cut wires comming out of a other connector socket which hangs down, is this for fog lights? i would rather the lights and not the non functional wiper i think.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I don't think your looking at the brakelight switch, I think the switch with the vac line to it is something to do with the cruise!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
john-w said:
Easiest way is to remove the lower knee pad, this allows you easy access to the pedals etc...
Right, that's what I removed. I wasn't sure the exact terminology.

The brake light switch is separate from the cruse control's vacuum switches. It's actually right up above the set of vacuum switches, there are 2 or 3 wires going to 2 little blade connectors; that's your brake light switch. The Bentley manual doesn't really show it very well as it shows it with the vacuum switches removed. Of course, things could be different in '89 ...

[edit] I have a 5-speed, that could be different from whatever you have ...

-Ian

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi, I just changed mine thursday!I found that removing the drivers seat would have been easier. Remove the first 2 screws in the duct and tie it to the shifter. Mine was white plastic with 2 red wires, but I think the newer ones are black. Mine also untreaded but I believe the never ones bolt on . Not bad job if you are a contortionist:eek: Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts