SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..so from time to time but recently more often when i cold start my car (1999 9-3 2.0 auto 103k)before turning the key to start position there is that noise that sounds like priming pump...i am thinking oil pump??...it is consistent with the turbo gauge moving towards red field...it only happens when car is cold...it goes away after a couple of seconds.....soo is it the oil pump?...would it indicate some upcoming issues..i didnt drop the pan yet..so could it be something related to clogged screen or something? any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As the engine has yet to turn(on its own), the oil pump is inactive. What you may hear is the priming of the fuel pump.
There seems to be something amiss with the turbocharger system, as that too , is still.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually i was able to hear my fuel pump priming when i had weak battery...it was coming from the back seat area..where the pump is..so i am familiar with that sound...but the one that interests me is coming definitely from the front of the car...is there any other part that starts/builds the pressure before starting the engine?...the sound is very consistent with the movement of the turbo gauge ..which when i turn the key goes towards the red field...sound goes away when the gauge stops moving...and it is rather low pitch sound like a humming base speaker..i guess..maybe even there is some small but noticeable vibrations in the cabin...

i guess i will have to crawl under and investigate but meanwhile any ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be one of the electrically controlled dampers in the climate control system, possibly. An actuator can sound like that, without being faulty.
i have manual ccs...would it still apply?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Do you have one the first electric vacuum pumps? The newer 9-3s have these, check their forums.
How long have you owned this Saab??:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
i have manual ccs...would it still apply?
Not sure. On my model, depending on what position the vents are in when the ignition turns off, the dampers and actuators reset when ignition is turned on, before the car is started. It is noticeable if there is cold morning after a warm day. It may only happen when the ACC is in AUTO mode, so it may not apply here.

EW may have a better answer here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do you have one the first electric vacuum pumps? The newer 9-3s have these, check their forums.
How long have you owned this Saab??:cheesy:
its 1999 t5 engine auto trans with manual climate control (so i dont have any special actuators in the vent system as in ACC..only the circulation button ..but that doesn't make any sound until you actually switch it on/off)and i have been the legal and proud owner for almost 5 years :)....the sound always puzzled me but was more or less noticeable depending on the outside temperature and warm vs cold starts...about 6 weeks ago my battery died and i managed to start the car from booster ..was driving on weak battery for week or two before getting a new one..old one was about 2.5 years old...but anyway durign those 1-2 weeks of driving on weak battery the humming/buzzing got longer and it sounded like something was struggling to get up to correct pressure(that was my first idea) so i think it is something that depends on quality of electric input...so now on new battery it just went back to how it was before..nothing major but still there...but i still would like to know where is it coming from..will dive under next weekend and look for clues...the hard part is that it is happening when the engine is cold and when you hear it once it will not come back before driving and then living it for the night or so..i thought that it was something obvious for you more knowledgeable :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have a 2000 9-3 2.0 turbo mine makes a noise like a jet engine warming up? and i watch the turbo guage it moves down and so dose the turbo like sound!! is your car doing the same kinda noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noisy electric fuel pump normal on some cars?

It is possible that you have not changed you fuel filter and the pump is fighting to push fuel through. Pump may be ready to go out on you. The fuel sock in the tank may be clogging up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
mmm ..noo mine does it only before cranking..when the power gets turn on..but i wouldnt call it a jet engine starting..mine is more like a buzzing pump ..priming to the correct pressure or something..and the sound is constant...like gmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)..it lasts couple of seconds then its gone even before u start cranking...could it be something in front related to fuel pump priming..like a valve in injection system or something?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mmm ..noo mine does it only before cranking..when the power gets turn on..but i wouldnt call it a jet engine starting..mine is more like a buzzing pump ..priming to the correct pressure or something..and the sound is constant...like gmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)..it lasts couple of seconds then its gone even before u start cranking...could it be something in front related to fuel pump priming..like a valve in injection system or something?
So, no vacuum pump?? I was guessing, the newer 9-3s have one.
Open the hood and, using your stethocope, just listen. This should be easy enough without the din and racket from the running engine. Maybe its one of the fans, or a purge valve..or the IAC..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts