SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pump on my 9-3s has started making a bit of noise recently. I will change the filter first to see if this cures it. When I looked to see how the fuel pump was changed I found an inspection cover under the rear set, unfortunately this does not allow access to the fuel pump. Do I have to drop the tank to change the pump?

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, the tank needs to be lowered for access to the pump.

however, the pump on my 1995 900s has been noisy ever since i've owned it (12 months, 6000 miles). i find it quieter if the tank is at least half full.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A while back there was a man who carefully cut an access door, using, I think, a saber saw.

This is easier than dropping the tank,IMO, unless you are working under the car using a hydraulic lift...

The pump alone is available at Napa for about $100......

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
blue_saab said:
Crazy, they put an inspection cover in there, just they put it in the wrong place.......
I don't think Saab intended the fuel pump to be replaced without removing the tank. It was over four hours of labor on my car, plus $250 for the motor, plus replacing the fuel tank straps that were almost rusted away.

Don't let the tank go down to reserve if you can avoid it. The fuel pump electric motor runs continuously in a closed space and the fuel is all that cools the motor. If the fuel pump is starting to make noise, it can use all the help it can get.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This inspection cover...what does it inspect?

Does it go anywhere near the fuel sender/pump assembly?

I don't want to cut a hole in my car, but I don't want to drop the tank. I guess I will, in the end, drop the tank, becuase it seems straightforward.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The electrical connections(for electrical testing ?), the pump center is just 4 to 8" away. Numerious men here have done this hole cutting, it is now refined and proven..

I would make that inspection access port. GM is just pinching pennies - they are good at that.
Even Honda has an access hole for the pump..and of course Saab did back in '69 with the 99/900 series...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Cut the hole....seriously.

I dropped the tank last fall and wished I had cut the hole. The straps are probably corroded, and the nuts holding them are likely frozen.

In fact, I should have cut the hole while the tank was out but I had a massive brain fart and forgot....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
KLowD9x said:
This inspection cover...what does it inspect?
It gives you access to two connectors. One is pump power and ground. The second one is for the fuel level sensor. You can test both the pump and the sensor from there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like I should just cut a hole, haha

The straps are not corroded, and the bolts look good, but it still looks like a pretty ****ty job to do. I wonder how hard it would be to put a Volvo style cover back on...should just be 4 threaded rods and a cover to fit.

All I have to do after snipping it away is rust proof everything. gah.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think the older (C900) had an access cover for the pump. Maybe you can get one from an older Saab... (no Volvo parts! :cheesy: )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts