SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
I noticed a high-pitched squeel coming from under the hood. The car hdn't moved in 10 hours so I popped the hood to take a look. The noise is coming from the right fan relay. switching relays does not fix it (the noise is always from the right fan relay). The fan seems to be working ok. when the car is running and the AC is on it seems like the noise stops, but it it hard to tell with the other noises from a running car.

Does anyone know what this noise could mean?

thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I've never heard a relay squeal in all my life!! Buzz, hum yes but never squeal, are you sure its a relay and not a belt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

It is definitely the relay. pulling the relay stops it, and it happens most of the time, even with the car off and the keys out. I guess the sound could be a buzz, but it is pretty squeal-y.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Are you sure that pulling the relay doesnt stop the power to something thats squealing? :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
And you swap the relay and then that one (the swapped one) squeals too :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The thread I linked above was happeneing even with the keys out too, you need to get a dealer or indie on this soon I'm afraid :(

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Soory it wasnt much help, but I'm sure in that other thread the relay was burnt out, maybe thats what is happening, I think I'd pull it out unless you are using the car, if it were me :confused:

Please let us know how you get on ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update:

I brought it in to the shop, and the wire harness in the air compressor was loose or something. Strange that would cause the fan relay to break into song. crazy swedish cars. :p

It took them a while to figure it out.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thanks for the update and a good result ;) I had wondered how you got on today! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts