SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
what happens if you get the inner firewall assembly area wet? Does the noise go away? I did a similar thing with a noisy AC compressor. Was rather obvious it was that, but just to be sure I wet it down and it would stop making noise.

It'd be a slippery slope (oil joke) to lubricate with WD40 but reducing/deducing suspension/bushing noise I coat one at a time til it stops. Go ahead and put new front springs on your car, see if you don't start getting some groaning.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what happens if you get the inner firewall assembly area wet? Does the noise go away? I did a similar thing with a noisy AC compressor. Was rather obvious it was that, but just to be sure I wet it down and it would stop making noise.

It'd be a slippery slope (oil joke) to lubricate with WD40 but reducing/deducing suspension/bushing noise I coat one at a time til it stops. Go ahead and put new front springs on your car, see if you don't start getting some groaning.
So you're saying to lubricate the pulleys one at a time to see if the noise stops or?

The AC compressor is removed on this car.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Might be just the hydraulic lifters needing a while to pump up and quieten down. Drive it around or leave idling to get hot to see if it cures itself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Possibly loose belts. But I'm afraid if you tighten them, the noise will go away and it was actually the water pump or alternator bearings going out. I would remove the belts and check how smooth and quiet the alternator and water pump are when you turn them by hand. Hopefully it's not the crankshaft pulley. They can make noise when they go out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after driving for about ten minutes the noise minimizes and produces much less of a racket.

If this signifies lifters I have definitely not been keeping it under 3K RPM, as I normally get it up to 4-4500RPM pulling onto the highway to work every morning. Why is this bad if the lifters are noisy?

I just picked up a can of Seafoam and was thinking of adding it to the crankcase, running it for a few hundred miles, and then changing in fresh oil. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Don't. Put the Seafoam in the trash can. It does nothing. Pure snake oil. It never cured anything.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
I just picked up a can of Seafoam and was thinking of adding it to the crankcase, running it for a few hundred miles, and then changing in fresh oil. Thoughts?
Seafoam is 1/3 kerosene, 1/3 alcohol, and 1/3 naptha (Coleman fuel). You can confirm that by looking up the EPA MSDS.
I don't think of those ingredients as lubricants, so I wouldn't put that stuff in my sump of lubricating oil.
That's just me. Others will disagree, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Seafoam works well for fuel though. "Engine Restore" is another snake oil I put a lot of faith in. Helps with my '53 MGTD. Don't know about our cars

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, well when Jim and Peva both say not to run Seafoam I think its a good idea NOT to run seafoam :D so that got returned and decided just to put some fresh oil in there.

The oil was on the low side of the marker (and I knew this beforehand) - I suspect she is burning a bit of it with the engine having north of 258K (odometer is broken) I had intentionally filled last time on the low side, as I had a seal go out on my first 900 when a garage had slightly overfilled the oil by about a quart.

Anyways, switched from the M1 5W-30 that was in there to M1 0W-40 and made sure to fill it further than last time.

..The engine is a lot quieter...maybe being an old engine the low oil level combined with less pressure to begin with, was causing lifter noise. We will see tomorrow as the noise is the worst in the cold mornings on a cold start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts