SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... So another problem I dont know if my repairing just damages more things or if they just break because my car hasn't been used in 7 years

I'm not getting any power to fuel pump...

I've checked fuse its ok

Now heres my question - I have a relay in the fusebox but there is also this relay down under the dash featured in the photo on the right (this is a bosch fuel pump of the newer kind)

Is this relay a replacement of the fuse box fuel pump relay or do they both work with eachother?

Also what are the two other relays on the left in the photo? are these related to fuel pump etc?

I have power on fuel pump fuse and power on one of the pins in the fuse box fuel pump relay socket? is there meant to be more powers?

Any advice or ideas on how to dial down what this issue is?

the car has been running fine It has just stopped all of a sudden?

Im thinking blown fuse box fuel pump relay? (if that still works with the other relay under the dash???)

Thanks for help

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
You should have power to/from the fuse, two power inputs to the relay (one from the fuse, to power the fuel pump and one from the HAL sensor) and a single point of power from the relay. Keep in mind - on the fuel pump relay (unless things really changed in '85 from '84) you'll only have output from the FPR for a short time with the motor not running - the relay serves to power the fuel pump while cranking the car over - but if it doesn't get a signal from the HAL sensor (distributor) telling it that the vehicle is running then it shuts off fuel (for safety reasons, in the event of a crash) -
You should be able to hear/feel the relay cycle when you turn on the ignition (there are a set of contact breakers in most relays - that's how they work) - try swapping a known good one in for the suspect one -
Sorry I can't help much with IDing (?) the relay from your pic - best of luck!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the hal sensor the black plug in the distributor?

Hey, so your saying if the hal sensor isnt working the fuel pump wont work?

Because I left my car in the rain with the bonnet off for the weekend and the hal sensor socket is broken, I thought initially maybe water got in there?

Sorry and the other question is ... is my 900 meant to have 1 or 2 fuel pump relays?

Because theres the one in the fuse box, and that other one under the dash???

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so here it is in basic terms

Checked - Have power at fuel pump fuse
checked - Do not have power at Fuel pump relay

what could be the possible causes of this?

An ecu failure would mean no power at fuse right?
im so lost

1 - 4 of 4 Posts