SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and am hoping someone has some experience with this issue and can point me in the right direction. I have searched the old posts and haven't found anything on this.

I have a 2002 9-5 Linear that I bought used. It was a single owner car and appears to be in really good condition overall. The problem that I have is that the TCS does not appear to be working. On snow, mud or even wet grass, i get stuck pretty much every time. The engine revs (low revs) and the car tries to move but after a bit of wheel spin, it appears that both front wheels stop turning. After that, there is a bit of "slipping clutch" smell. If I get a good push off the slippery surface, the car drives fine.

Any idea an what to look in to? FYI, I am currently unemployed so taking it to a dealer or mechanic would be too costly.

Thanks everyone,

Max

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Sounds like the TCS is working

TCS does not give you more traction, it prevents wheel spin when the engine torque is greater than the traction available at the tires. It does this by electronically returning the engine to idle speed, and by applying braking power to the spinning wheel. My suggestions are to:
  1. Get new tires, yours are either not safe or are too much of a performance tire for regular driving conditions.
  2. Replace the burned out lamp in your dash which should be illuminating when the TCS activates.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but from your description I don't think there is anything wrong with your car other than the sole burned out warning lamp. Does this lamp illuminate during the test of all dashboard indiacators when starting the car?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
TCS does not give you more traction, it prevents wheel spin when the engine torque is greater than the traction available at the tires. It does this by electronically returning the engine to idle speed, and by applying braking power to the spinning wheel. My suggestions are to:

1. [*]Get new tires, yours are either not safe or are too much of a performance tire for regular driving conditions.
  2. Replace the burned out lamp in your dash which should be illuminating when the TCS activates.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but from your description I don't think there is anything wrong with your car other than the sole burned out warning lamp. Does this lamp illuminate during the test of all dashboard indiacators when starting the car?

This.

Put on a good set of tires....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts