SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I was running the car few times on my driveway and there was no more problem with starting. As before wiggling and pulling of the harness did not stall the engine. Finally I took her for a ride around the block or two. I need to gain confidence. Anyway nothing exciting happened. Car runs smoothly, OBD is not showing anything except all this inc monitors.
I wonder if Tech 2 would be helpful in this process of identifying potential cause, or I just have to wait for the next incident and a chance to diagnose it properly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
My car is till running without any problems. But I noticed that my ignition key behaves a little different. Before my car stalled i noticed that sometimes I was not able to turn it from OFF to ON position. Since this was kind of a new behavior, I started investigate it and found out that this happened when I press the key down. So I was careful not to do it. Right now i noticed that this is not the case any more. I can press it down and key still can be turn into ON position. So obvious question is:
Can this be connected with my car recently refusing to start? Right know my main goal is to find the cause, so this would be something. Thanks for reading and please respond

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Yes, it could be. If the ignition switch isn't working properly, it could provide intermittent power to various systems. However, based on the troubleshooting you were doing it doesn't seem particularly likely, since tests you ran didn't indicate power was missing - eg, at the injectors or the fuel pump or the ECM.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yes, it could be. If the ignition switch isn't working properly, it could provide intermittent power to various systems. However, based on the troubleshooting you were doing it doesn't seem particularly likely, since tests you ran didn't indicate power was missing - eg, at the injectors or the fuel pump or the ECM.
Thanks, That means that I still have to look for some more likely cause.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Not being able to turn the key in an OG9-3 most likely points to a sticking or dying lock cylinder.

If you can turn it but nothing happens, that points to the ignition switch.

There are (unfortunately) plenty of threads about how to remove and clean/check/oil the lock cylinder. If put off too long, it may be impossible to turn the car on, or turn it off to remove the key.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks EDT for your comment. I don't have any issue right now with turning the key. When I had it, it was only when I pressed the key down. To make it clear if I didn't press it I was always able to turn the key. And when I was turning the key I always was cranking the engine!!!
I don't want to mess with the key right now, as it is not causing any problem presently, and I still not have clear understanding of my resent problems with starting. But I will keep eye on my ignition lock/key and try to prepare/educate myself about this potential issue. By the way I do remember reading, that no grease or cleaner should be used for ignition key, is that true?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
My personal solution to ignition cyl turning issues is a WD-40 flush. Towel around the cyl, flush down the key slot, pull key, flush under the head. twist repeatedly. Repeat. Twist. Repeat. I've "fixed" a number of them like that. The issue is that the factory grease dries out and make everything stick - including the little cam that does the up/down you're having trouble with.

Some guys don't like WD-40, but you need some kind of solvent to dissolve the grease. I'm OK with their opinion but WD-40 has worked for me every time where there was not actual mechanical damage internally. The better solution is to pull the key cylinder, degrease, regrease, and reassemble. (FYI - while some will say "don't use WD-40, it's oil and it collects dirt!... the cylinder is greased from the factory... so that ship sailed long ago).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
My personal solution to ignition cyl turning issues is a WD-40 flush. Towel around the cyl, flush down the key slot, pull key, flush under the head. twist repeatedly. Repeat. Twist. Repeat. I've "fixed" a number of them like that. The issue is that the factory grease dries out and make everything stick - including the little cam that does the up/down you're having trouble with.

Some guys don't like WD-40, but you need some kind of solvent to dissolve the grease. I'm OK with their opinion but WD-40 has worked for me every time where there was not actual mechanical damage internally. The better solution is to pull the key cylinder, degrease, regrease, and reassemble. (FYI - while some will say "don't use WD-40, it's oil and it collects dirt!... the cylinder is greased from the factory... so that ship sailed long ago).
Thanks Bob,
As I said, don't have any problem right know, but if these symptoms return I would follow with your advice. By the way my REDSAAB still starts any time I am trying and is not sensitive to my wiggling pulling touching of electrical harnesses.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
My car is not starting again. Here are the details.
In the morning started car without any problem but soon realized that something is different. Specifically got message "displ info" but there was no any info on SID. Then I turn radio on was playing for a few seconds and than it was quiet. I turn it on and off and nothing, still quiet. Just antenna was going up and down. Before I got back home "display info" was off and radio started playing without any probllems. The outside temp was 32F, the lowest this season.
Afternoon I went for another ride. Car started without any problem but since was already dark I noticed that dashboard is not iluminated, Just message "displ info" was on. Radio behave like in the morning, and soon I noticed that turn signals were not working also. I stopped on the parking lot and stupidly turn the ignition off. I was not able to start the car again but engine was cranking nicely. Had to call AAA to tow me home Any new ideas? .
Update
Forgot to add that cannot again connect with my OBDII and can not turn intrior light on when key is in. On other hand it turns on when I pull the key out of the ignition.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm going to refer you back to post #4 waaay back in the beginning.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The actual switch located under the Keyset, you need to remove the console and it comes out with 2 screws.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The actual switch located under the Keyset, you need to remove the console and it comes out with 2 screws.
Thank you,
As soon as we get some wormer air I will start to explore it. And I assume that I should kind of inspect it and clean? Correct?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nope ,its a sealed unit. It will need to be replaced. Shake it and listen for broken bits. Hard to remember now but if its a 99 it has solid external pins ,like 7 . 2k and newer it has an internal plug and more prone to having issues.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
My problems with starting and the recent mess mostly with lights are intermittent. I was runing for the last 12 days without problems, so I would rather think that nothing is broken just maybe loose or dirty contact.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Update
Today I was attempting to start again and failed, but noticed the following: Before when I was turning key to on I was getting message related to "theft alarm" This was after I removed theft alarm box from the wheel well long time ago. I got used to that and usually was autmtically pressing clear button. This time insteaad I was getting "CHECK OK" and then standard display, which was temp and date or similar. For me it seems to be another clue to figure out where the problem is, except that I am not smart enough to do it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Today developments. Since one of the new symptomps was my radio ( behave strange, playing only for about 10sec) and turn signals (blinking but not clicking) I started investigating that lead. With key "on" I pulled out fuse 13 (radio and diagnostic) - got clear clicking from the turn signals and got familiar message "Service Theft Alarm" (this is what supposed to be since I removed alarm box long time ago. I tried to start and it was runing, I let it run for a few minutes. After that killed the engine and turn the key again. It started again without hesitations. Then I turn of engine put the key on and instaled back fuse 13. Got message "Checking" and then Check OK" which is one of the new strange symptoms. Then tried to start engine, it started and died after few seconds. Repeated it few times with the same results. At the same time I found that fuse 11-Twice/Dice(7.5amp) burnt, I tried to replace it with some spare, but it didn't make any difference.
Please give me some quidance what to do next

81 - 100 of 121 Posts