SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem on my 93 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo, a couple of weeks ago my engine just shutoff while drive, then a few days ago it did it about 3 times in 1 mile. Each time it start right back up. Today it did it again, only this time it would not start, fuel pump is working fine, the engine would just crank with out a hint or starting, after looking around on the forums I've determined that is the crankshaft position sensor, mainly because the tech doesn't bounce when the engine is cranking, so the big question is... how do I fix/replace it, I've seen conflicting info on where it is. Seems like it should be behind the pulley on the passengers side of the engine but I can't seem to fine anything there but wheels and belts.

Could someone give me a good explanation of were this thing is? Maybe a picture with a arrow pointing it out and a caption of "Its right here you moron"?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blah

Ok never mind, I finnialy found it, one of those under your nose things, now I've got got to figure out now to get the drive belt off :p

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Removal of the drive belt is easy. Put a socket on the bolt holding the right hand idler pulley. It's a left hand thread so then just turn anti clockwise and it compresses the belt tensioner.

Then just slip off the belt.

You might want to make the tool up to hold the tensioner closed. It's a piece of bar with two screws through it that engage in the slots on the tensioner and bracket.

http://www.saabscene.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/6684.html#000000

You don't have to but it makes it easier when you come to put it back on and this way you don't end up with the piston popping out and that's a pain to put back in.

David.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx

Thanks for the info, I was finnialy able to get it all sorted out, I found out a ver easy way to get the pulley off from another post, basicly its just trying to start the car witht the DI unpluged and with a big wrench over the bolt on the crank shaft pulley, not to safe but it did the trick in about 1 sec :), I took a good look at my crankshaft sensor and found it to be quite a bit gunked up, I just gave it a good cleaning instead or replacing it and I think that may have actually got me sorted out, I've driven it all day today and it hasn't stalled or not started once and for the last few days its done it every 100 meters or so. Has anyone else had exprience with the crank shaft sensor being just dirty? Or should I still replace it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts