SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 93 sedan 55k (just out of warranty ;) )

hello all! new to board and saabs.

first, i have tried searching the board before posting to no avail.

the car will not crank. figured it was battery but is not. when i turn the key i get click click...pause...click click and so on. all other electrickeries are working as they should. my guess is starter solenoid but thought there could be some fuse or relay that could be a common issue with these vehicles. found some info about the neutral saftey switch but this has been an all day ordeal (per the mrs). plus, i get 2 clicks as opposed to the one click described by others.

honestly, my work schedule is crap right now and i have not had a chance to look into it. just switched out batteries when i got home tonight. any help or insight is appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, was the [email protected]$n battery afterall...lol! i grabbed the wrong battery when i switched them out....it was a dead one as well. though, could still be the alternator. will get the ole meter on it tomorrow. anyone know what the output from the alt should be....14ish?

thanks anyway!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Should be between 13.8V and 14.8V depending on alternator temperature.

In cold weather (40F and below) just after the engine has been started you'll see 14.8V

In warmer weather (60F and above) after the engine has been running a while it'll be around 13.8V.

This is with no excessive loads on the alternator...if the battery is discharged suggest putting it on a charger before testing voltage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks brian!

alternator is good. refilled the cells on the battery and charged...has been holding charge so far! i guess the computer cuts out starting once the battery gets to a certain charge leaving juice for hazards etc. it was just odd because when it wasnt starting nothing would dim (including headlights) when i tried to crank it. the computer must save a crap load of juice or something.
enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts