SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms seemed very similar to anyone else who fixed this issue with a new crankshaft position sensor.... but i've replaced it TWICE and can't figure out what it would be...

car fires right up in the morning or on my way home from work... BUT if i take it down the street to the store 5 miles away i need to wait at least 20 minutes before my car will start again

any other ideas? wouldnt be the fuel pump if it starts up normally every morning right? i can deal with this but im afraid of the wife stalling the car and not being able to start it up again.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
are you replacing the CPS with a Bosch unit? or ebay no name brand? I have seen the ones from ebay not work properly and cause similar issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i now have the Bosch CPS ... the first one i bought was a cheapy so i figured it was just a bad unit...

still no luck... one side note.. when i originally replaced the CPS i misplaced the heatshield... i later found it but never p-ut it back on... could this make a difference?

·
Registered
519 Posts
The key question is when it is hot and you turn the key to crank it, does the starter turn the engine over or is it like the battery is dead and you get nothing when you turn the key all the way to the right?

If the latter, then it is the nuetral safety switch which frequently fail in hot weather. Search on my name and you will find a quick and cheap repair for it. If it is actually turning over then did you check to see if there are any codes stored, even if the CEL is not on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its cranking. just not starting. then it seems to be draining the battery quickly because if i try too many times it will hardly crank at all

also the neutral switch is only on automatic trans right? i have a 5spd

i havent checked for any codes... but i have no CEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
its cranking. just not starting. then it seems to be draining the battery quickly because if i try too many times it will hardly crank at all

I have this exact issue currently, especially noting the battery issue as well - keeps drain extremely quickly.

Symptoms: stalling when hot; re-start after a short journey is a no-no... must cool down first; engine cranks but doesn't turn over; CEL thrown (error code P0337 - CPS current low), changed the CPS with no changes to symptoms.

I have a 2000 9-5 aero manual, 155k.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue... my wife is seriously starting to loose patience with this car, which just compounds my problems!! Really love the car but starting to irritate me.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have this exact issue currently, especially noting the battery issue as well - keeps drain extremely quickly.

Symptoms: stalling when hot; re-start after a short journey is a :nono;... must cool down first; engine cranks but doesn't turn over; CEL thrown (error code P0337 - CPS current low), changed the CPS with no changes to symptoms.

I have a 2000 9-5 aero manual, 155k.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue... my wife is seriously starting to loose patience with this car:(, which just compounds my problems!! Really love the car but starting to irritate me.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Did you make sure teh o-ring came out when you replced the CPS? SOmethimes it will stay in there and casue issues

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would also suggest checking that it is mounted correctly. If you have 2 O-rings it will be pushed far enough away to not work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had this problem with 2 cars and the problem was always the starter solenoid. It even took the dealer multiple trips to diagnose the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
no I hadn't... I was having so much trouble getting to the thing I got a mechanic to do it.. I didn't have the right tools! I know... shame on me

He did give me the old CPS though and I will check if its on there! l'll check more thoroughly in the morning.

Where do you find the starter selinoid? I'm clearly not that great with cars.

Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the same issue and I changed the CPS and nothing. The other strange thing is I have no CEL, but the battery died like the cars from the other post and reset the clock so i didnt get a chance to see if there were any faults.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2000 9-5 is having this same hot start issue. It received a B235E from a 2001, and I'l be picking up its service history when my dupe key arrives at the shop that serviced it for the previous owner (ie right now I don't know how old certain parts are).

Problem evidenced about 2 weeks after the swap. Cranking would deplete the battery quickly, although no CEL appeared. A new battery made the problem go away for the next 4-5 trips, but quickly returned. A fresh battery allowed me to crank it for longer and eventually triggered the CEL: code P0337. After 3 more ignition cycles where the engine was allowed to cool before starting, my CEL cleared itself.

I have the CPS sensor from the dud motor which I can swap, but after reading here I am less optimistic. I'll also check out the starter solenoid and connections. This issue reared its head after my shifting system went a little funky, so I'm still suspicious of those components. Has anyone in the thread found a definitive culprit and solution?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes. You might want to look into your coolant temp sensor. If its acting up, your car thinks it should try to start at -300deg or something. After that, all about basics. Fuel, spark. Got those when hot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Changed out the CPS with a used, but working one. No problems hot-starting for the last 3 weeks. After changing this, plugs, fuel filter and swapping to my backup DIC i'm getting at least 15% better fuel economy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts