SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '89 900T convertible, 5-speed. It was running fine until this weekend, when it refused to start. It appeared to have plenty of spark, it turned over but never caught. Or even came close to catching. My thought was the fuel pump died. So I left it alone for a couple of days.

This morning, on a whim, I tried to start it. It started! But it was idling at about 2500 rpm, and it behaved oddly when I tapped the gas pedal to see if that would settle the idle down. So I turned it off, and tried to start it again, thinking that might "reset" the weird idle.

Tried starting it again. No start ! Same as before, it was turning over, and did not catch. Went and had lunch.

After lunch, it starts and runs normally ! Idles right at 900, purrs like a kitten. I drive it around a little bit, and it was driving great. Back at home, I turn it off, and then try and start it again. It starts fine!

The only thing unusual when it drives is a very mild backfire, more of a quiet pop really, which occurs when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

So what's going on with my car? My impression is that fuel pumps normally don't go in and out, once they quit they're done for good. And this on/off sort of behavior doesn't strike me like a fuel filter, either.

Any recommendations - other than parking it where a tow truck can easily get to it?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Is it a warm start issue, or did it refuse to start when cold - ie when left for more than 2 hours? If it seems temperature related, test the NTC sensor - resistances are in this thread. Might be something totally different though - electric problems can be a nightmare to trace, as I've recently found.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wouldn't start cold - sat all night before it refused to start initially.

For what it's worth, when it didn't start over the weekend, the weather was hot and humid, but this morning it was cool and dry.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've had starting problems during humid weather with cars that had old ignition wires--are yours recent?

If this is not the issue, my next guess would be that the Hall sensor is going bad. This will cause intermittent starting and weird idle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did you ever figure this one out? I have had a bit of a high idle and stumble from 1st to second gear since replacing my PCV valve and the hose that goes to the intake where the water pipe runs through. Today driving great with out those symptoms. Stopped for 20 minutes and came back to cranking with no start :-( No stumble no nothing so seems Electrical. Will check for spark tomorrow.

'89 Turbo Convertible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.