SaabCentral Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Those are good, so no issue with wires/connectors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I tried a ground to power test light on DLC pin 16 and CIM pin 1, separately, and both blew the 5A fuse. That's not supposed to happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am experiencing the same no start issue. Although, it cranks fine and will not restart for 1.5 hours.

Also, why are some referring to the unit to be repaired as the ABS module and others referring to it as the ECU? Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Why are some referring to the unit to be repaired as the ABS module and others referring to it as the ECU? Thanks!
In my specific case, I had the ABS (Antilock Braking System) module repaired.
The ECU (Engine Control Unit) is a separate computer in a different location.
When you say "why are some", do you mean some people in this specific thread or do you mean some people across the SAAB Central forums?

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my specific case, I had the ABS (Antilock Braking System) module repaired.
The ECU (Engine Control Unit) is a separate computer in a different location.
When you say "why are some", do you mean some people in this specific thread or do you mean some people across the SAAB Central forums?

Good question!

I meant in this specific thread.

Thanks very much for you quick response!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
In that case, anyone referencing the ECU is either: pointing to other possible issues, referencing other people's issues, maybe mistaken, or possibly poor wording.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why I stumbled onto this thread today I'll never know, but I'm so glad that I did as I've been experiencing this issue ever since I installed my downpipe and upgrades almost three years ago. I falsly believed that the issue was heat related, but thanks to you I'm headed in the right direction!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had my car towed to a local mechanic. I called first to talk to him to find out if he might be able to handle the job or wanted it. He gave a good impression on the phone. Additional good info in person during drop off. His diagnostic tech had the scanner computer hooked up to the car before I left.

The current assessment is that the CIM went bad at some point right before or shortly after it was parked for the last 6+ months.

I am looking for a CIM module for this 2006 SAAB 9-3 Aero with 6 speed manual transmission.
Recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am looking for a CIM module for this 2006 SAAB 9-3 Aero with 6 speed manual transmission.
Recommendations appreciated.
I have a spare from an 06 with 2 keys I'd likely sell. I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I bought a used CIM with keys. The mechanic that has the car is claiming he cannot communicate with the car at all and claims the keys do not match the CIM. Who would you believe the mechanic or the SAAB Central member?
My money on the SC user. If anyone has any suggestions to give the mechanic to get the communications running or questions to ask to prove they don't know what they are doing, please post.
Plan B, a CIM cloning service maybe? Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With tech2 you can easily check if the keys are valid or if the module is not communicating. You will probably need the right software and security access however. You can have stored faults for communication faults when replacing the cim that will likely need cleared or wait until they go away. This happens even when doing airbag replacements and removing and reinstalling the cim. If the faults are persistent I would probably look closer into the communication, intermittent faults are possible but I don’t think they’re logged as such.

also if things that are on the same bus are not communicating, like half of the ecu or the abs unit, there is more likely a communication error. Really just run a scan on the cim, if it communicates, it’s probably working then check the keys to see if they’re valid. I suppose it’s possible that it may need married to the car to start, I’d consult the wis to double check that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
+1 on checking the CIM & keys with techII before doing anything else...that'll give you a definitive answer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The part numbers on the two CIM modules match. The mechanic said he tried a Tech2 and got nothing. I am shipping them off to Precision ECU today. Updates when units return.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Update: Precision ECU returned the new CIM cloned from the old CIM with the keys married.
I installed the CIM and there was no change. The mechanic tried again and said he didn't know what was wrong.

I moved the car to my preferred mechanic down the street. He was overwhelmed with work before which is why I tried the one that failed. The new mechanic "L" probed and tested the system without assuming anything. He found that the ABS module repair was flawed and it was still broken. The ABS module has been removed and it is on its way back to the repair center for warranty service. More details when it comes back and is installed.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts