SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point last night my speedometer stoped illuminating from 90-150 mph, as if the night panel was activated. Only all my other gauges were on. I hit the night panel button, and it worked as it should, but when I switched it off, only 0-90 on the speedo. All other gauges working fine. My only other though was to exceed 90 and see if it comes on and stays on. Lord knows I did that today, but I couldn't tell if it lit up. I'll have to do further testing.

So anyways, is there a seperate bulb in there from 90-150? Or maybe a switch/relay problem? I have heard horror stores of taking dashes apart, and wouldn't bother for a bulb, but I'm pretty curious about this.

Thanks, Seth

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I wonder if this is somehow intentional on SAAB's part? Maybe only for US market cars? On the other hand, I know if you have the black panel on and exceed a certain speed I think something or other lights up too. Taking the dash apart isn't as hard as it sounds like from the directions, but um, how often are you really driving 150 at night (on a closed track, of course)?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering the same thing if it would come back on if I exceed 90 as it does when the nightpanel is under normal operation. It is true that I don't really need it, but its just a little thing that I'd fix if it wasn't too hard.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I think when your driving that fast, maybe everything should dim so you can concentrate on the road! Stromer, what are you doing driving so fast!!

I have nothing helpful to offer! Sorry!

Tboy

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah so a bulb would probably be the most reasonable. I just didn't know if there was something else in there that is involved with the night panel that could be fouling up. But if that were the case, probably more gauges would be messed up.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Start with the bulb, that'll be the cheapest thing to replace.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it would be cheap. I'll look into this for a project for some lazy summer weekend. From what I gather taking the dash apart is just really tedious and time consuming. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Well on the 9-3 there speedo illumination is in two sections. On the non-US/UK cars, the speedo has large spaces for increments from 0-140km/h, and the 140-250 section is closer spaced. When Night Panel is activated, the illumination only goes on the 0-140, unless you drive 140km/h or more, when the whole thing comes up. On a US / UK substitute 0-90mi/h and 90-150mi/h.

Now does the second part of the speedo ever light up? If it doens't - replace the bulb.

Does the second part of the speedo light up when vehicle speed exceeds 90mi/h? Don't worry 90mi/h isn't really that fast :lol: you only need to hit perhaps 100 to check if it comes up then slow down again... if the cops give trouble tell them your speedo lighting went out! :lol:

How about when Night Panel is activated?

99% chance it is the bulb, which I doubt will be a very difficult replacement.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
JMarkert said:
but um, how often are you really driving 150 at night (on a closed track, of course)?
You ever do a cross-country banzai run?

Or actually, remember the Saab Talledega Challenge(s)? They were going 150 for weeks at a time! :D

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I noticed today that the illoumination was still off even after going aboce 90 mph yesterday. So that didn't fix it. But tonight I'll go above 90 and see if it comes on. If it comes on and off above 90 pmh even without the nightpanel option on, that's still fine with me.

Anybody point me towards some directions or diagrams of taking the dash apart?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Does the top of the dash have speaker grilles or something? I know to change the bulbs on an old 900 you remove the top speaker grille and get it from the back. Either that or the NG 900 cluster comes out (hopefully easily).

·
Registered
380 Posts
stromer said:
From what I gather taking the dash apart is just really tedious and time consuming. Is this accurate?
No! Actually it's a very simple operation! Changed out my grey plastic dash for a woodgrain one, and it took about half an hour, including repairing an air vent that fell apart when I made a silly move that I never should have.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was looking at it more this afternoon. I can see those two screws beside the steering column clearly. I image those and maybe others get the dash fascia (the side that faces you that is often wood or carbon etc.) off. From there can you just pull out the cluster? I thought at first you had to take the top of the dash off as well. And wouldn't the steering wheel be in the way? I really would need to hear a summary of the process from somebody that has done this on a 9-3.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Munki's tech help section has instructions that will get you there. You only need to remove the black flat plastic part, not the whole dash. It's a bit tedious, but will only take a couple hours.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll go check it out, thanks.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright taking off the fascia seems easy enough. I wonder how much harder to take out the gauge cluster. I imagine you have to do this to get to the bulb. Anybody else know? There weren't any pictures on munki's site that helped to see the cluster that well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Once the fascia is out, there are just 4 more screws (if i recall right) to remove and the whole cluster is loose.

And, if this takes "a couple of hours", as someone suggested, one should probably consider NOT working on one's car, and possibly not even fill up with gas on one's own - it might be just too risky considering one's technical gift.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so at least I know that I can do it. Will I? Well that's tough to say, :cheesy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello
I have the same problem, my speedo doesn't (the whole speedo, but the other gauges are ok) light up and it's very hard to drive without seeing the speed :S, so I wanna try to replace the bulb's, can somebody give the link of the Munki's tech help section. I have tried to find it but I couldn't.

thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 21 Posts