SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was visiting my two 'rural' C900's yesterday (my 81 turbo sedan and a 1992 black 2.1 3ck) and discovered I had a pair of genuine Saab foglight brackets in the back of the black car.

Got me thinking about foglight wiring. My 1992 2.1 green sedan has no foglight wiring for front foglights - I've lifted the fuse/relay panel today and found nothing hidden away (yet) for a secret relay. Bentley says it should be fuse 21 and relay position 'D' for 'extra fog lights'. Fuse 21 does exist, but it shows as 'rear fog light' (not sure what that means).

Way back when I was able to get a genuine Saab foglight wiring kit that I originally installed in my first Saab (1983 900s sedan) and then removed from that car when it was scapped to fit it to my 1981 8V sedan (where it still is now) I was surprised it was available but I think I just fluked it. ;-)

Those kits would be many years in the pure unobtanium category. My memory tells me the kit had a GM part number not a Saab 7-digit one.

Does anyone know what the story is with foglight wiring in later build C900's? I found the old threads here about me fitting foglights to my long-gone red 89 3ck and have wondered why the 2.1 sedan has nothing at all.

Did Saab stop fitting foglight wiring at some point, or was it considered a 'factory option' that a customer could order (or not)?

Does anyone know if any aftermarket wiring kit that is a good substitute for the NLA genuine factory one?

Craig.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The kit was a relay, a fuse, a switch, and a pair of foglights. c900s since the mid '80s were all pre-wired... you just need to plug in the outward facing bits.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any alternative locations for a foglight relay if not the 'D' relay as specified in the manual? I haven't pulled the lower dash panel out to look under there.

The kit I referred to is an actually wiring harness with relay, fuse, etc. and instructions to wire it in. The relay mounts under the fuse/relay panel. Here is a photo I took in 2005 of the wiring kit installed into my original Saab (1983 900S). It's installed into my 81 turbo sedan the same way:

pic pagep

You can see where the wire to the additional fuseholder is run.

Craig.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm not certain on how to say this, but your 1991 Saab 900 should have come from the factory fully wired to accept Saab foglights. Then you had to add the brackets, switch and lights. Look into your Bentley, find the wire colors, and start digging. Nothing under the Fuse Box cover, nothing under the dash. If I remember right, the passenger side harness connector should be visible when looking downward on pass. side of radiator? Good luck, Vern

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Not all wiring harnesses are the same in all markets. US cars are not wired for Rear Fog Light for example.
I haven't the vaguest idea how they wired Australian Delivery SAABs.
The wiring diagram will tell you. Look for the AUS in the legend on the diagram.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Pre '84 or maybe pre '85 cars would not not prewired for foglights, which is why the extra mumbo jumbo. :)

'92 should definitely be prewired. I am pretty sure there is only one switch for "foglights," which engages front and rear - they are not separate like later cars. My Euro '84 was like this, as were both my mid '80s Volvos and Audi and my XR4Ti. Separate front and rear was a '90s thing. Have you looked at wiring diagrams?

·
Registered
280 Posts
My suggestion would be to try a locate an old Hella Catalogue, as most foglights / driving lights in Aust back then seemed to be Hella or Cibie. Narva came later if I recall. Might help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Mort
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing