SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about my radio not coming on after I disconnected my battery (and then reconnected). I purchased the Haynes manual, but it really didn't give me any troubleshooting ideas.
I checked all my fuses and replaced any that were related to the radio. Power still won't come on. I have my radio code, but without the power to the radio I can't enter it.
Saab dealer told me to disconnect the battery and plug it back in and that "they (the radios) just do that sometimes." I told him I'd already tried that once, but he said "keep trying it." So, I unplugged and plugged back in and still nothing.
One Saab friend of mine said to hold down on the "band" button for a few seconds, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas on where the problem might lie?

If the ICE unit was going bad, wouldn't I be experiencing a multitude of electrical problems? Or is this just the beginning?

Sorry if these are repeat questions.

p.s. the headlight problem I was having, which I wrote about in my last post, turned out to be a bad switch.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a third fuse for the stereo system, this is with the radio itself.

I take it you have the "special tool" for removing the head unit..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
radio tools and fuse

I was hoping that the fuse in the back of the radio was going to be the key. It wasn't.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clues.

I should mention, for troubleshooting purposes, that the radio was becoming a little wonky just before it "died."
I somehow (or maybe I didn't) tripped the 1-hour feature where the radio stays on for an hour and then automatically turns off. It was also staying on when I shut off the car. I would have to reach up and hit the power button to turn it off.
One last thing - the radio was on when I disconnected the battery the first time. I was filling up with gas, the car was off, I was checking the oil and figured while I was there that I'd disconnect the battery to try to reset the computer and maybe have a quick fix on the headlight problem I was experiencing.
When I reconnected the battery, I was ready to enter my four-digit code, and nothing. No power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hkayssi said:
More details please! What headlight problems. Those issues could be related ;)

headlights don't stay on in the "right" position. they are only on when i have them on the daytime position (switched over all the way to the left). brights only stay on when i hold back on the turn signal. i tried all three positions.
I moved the fuses (the big grey ones) in the fuse box under the hood around, and they all seem to be working, which leads me to believe it can only be the switch on the dash. Perhaps i jumped the gun on that diagnosis.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
jmyers121 said:
headlights don't stay on in the "right" position. they are only on when i have them on the daytime position (switched over all the way to the left). brights only stay on when i hold back on the turn signal. i tried all three positions.
I moved the fuses (the big grey ones) in the fuse box under the hood around, and they all seem to be working, which leads me to believe it can only be the switch on the dash. Perhaps i jumped the gun on that diagnosis.
I doubt the 2 issues are related.

The light issue is common. You may need to resolder the leads on the orange relay
http://www.customsaab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=547#547

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=670&do=show&id=6012

Another possible cause would ba a bad headlight switch.

Your radio is probably shot based on the lingering symptoms you described :cry:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Which relays is shown, J Myers ?

It may have microscopic cracks which only a TV and radio repairman could detect.

Seems as if the headlight switch may be on the fritz..
Check you Haynes schematics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
earthworm said:
Which relays is shown, J Myers ?

It may have microscopic cracks which only a TV and radio repairman could detect.

Seems as if the headlight switch may be on the fritz..
Check you Haynes schematics.
It's the lamp control relay (two pics of the same relay). the one with the orange cover, or at least mine's orange. the rest are grey.

I'll check with haynes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've employed my iPod and earphones for the last couple of months and haven't messed with the radio problem until today.
Pulled the radio out and unhooked the power supply. Turned the car on and tested the power supply by touching the positive node to the end of the supply and grounded on the radio frame in the dash. Didn't get a reading on the voltmeter.
Did I test correctly? What's my next move?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts