SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had nothing but bad luck with this cat ever since I picked it up. On my way home just now, I'm at the light , light turns green, I shift into first and I noticed my car is moving very slowly as if I'm in 3rd gear. I pushed down on the gas all the way and the Rpm slowly rise and the car slowly advances. Right away the check engine light went on but the didn't stall or anything. Boost gauge still shows normal boost but car barely has any acceleration in first and second gear. There isn't any unusual sounds coming from the car. for some reason car revs normal in neutral. What should I check?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have had nothing but bad luck with this cat ever since I picked it up. On my way home just now, I'm at the light , light turns green, I shift into first and I noticed my car is moving very slowly as if I'm in 3rd gear. I pushed down on the gas all the way and the Rpm slowly rise and the car slowly advances. Right away the check engine light went on but the didn't stall or anything. Boost gauge still shows normal boost but car barely has any acceleration in first and second gear. There isn't any unusual sounds coming from the car. for some reason car revs normal in neutral. What should I check?

Sounds like limp mode to me... See what code you're throwing and take it from there...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does feel like limp mode. I drove it to the garage and waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
yeah that definitely sounds like limp home mode... check the code

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it drives fine once it gets up to 20-30 mph, then it could be your pedal throttle sensor or throttle body sensor. I forget what the codes are.

Related question... doesn't true "limp home mode" throw a message on the SID?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Its prob the maf check codes check back here

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it drives fine once it gets up to 20-30 mph, then it could be your pedal throttle sensor or throttle body sensor. I forget what the codes are.

Related question... doesn't true "limp home mode" throw a message on the SID?
It definitely gets better once it gets going, but i didn't get any codes on the SID.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By codes I meant a message. Still waiting for a word from my mechanic.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
By codes we mean check engine light, let us know what your mechanic says

BTW the sid really won't tell you if something is wrong unless catastrophic failure i.e. transmission failure or low brake fluid

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well just got a call from the mechanic and this is what he told me. Car goes in the garage with check engine on, he starts working on my rear control arms, by the time he's done with that my car battery dies and he can't scan it. After boosting the car, the check engine is gone and he didn't get any codes. He took it for a drive and now it drives fine. He told me to go back once the light is back on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
everything i've read about that code has been due to a faulty seal on the ecu multiplugs allowing gradual corrosion of the contacts.
Get the garage to disconnect the ecu plugs ,clean and check them thoroughly and use silicone grease around it before reassembly...clearing the code should co-inside with disconnecting the ecu for about 20 minutes.
My wifes Aero had a spell of odd ecu faults 2 winters ago and the dealer said it was quite common in damp cold conditions as the seal shrinks....so they fitted a new seal and I have put the grease around it every few months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
everything i've read about that code has been due to a faulty seal on the ecu multiplugs allowing gradual corrosion of the contacts.
Get the garage to disconnect the ecu plugs ,clean and check them thoroughly and use silicone grease around it before reassembly...clearing the code should co-inside with disconnecting the ecu for about 20 minutes.
My wifes Aero had a spell of odd ecu faults 2 winters ago and the dealer said it was quite common in damp cold conditions as the seal shrinks....so they fitted a new seal and I have put the grease around it every few months.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely give it try, sounds like a DIY, I hate paying the garage for these things. I had swapped ecus on my previous car so I will give this a try. Probably a stupid question but where is the ecu on this car and is it easily accessible? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found the link to the ECU replacement and will take a look at maybe ordering a ECU from eBay. Is there anything specific I should be looking at? Do I have to go to the dealer for programming or is this just a simple plug and play?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts