SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car to get it cleaned over the weekend and cleaned a bunch of junk from the sill atop the tailgate opening--the area from which the hinges protrude. I found several spots smaller than a dime that had no paint and a little surface rust starting. My car is black, so I'm going to do POR-15 brush-on and then touch up with some basic brush-on black gloss paint I have laying around, as I don't see any reason to be fancy in that space unless ever do a repaint. That said, I'm wondering if others have encountered similar?

I did a search and didn't find a lot, though admittedly had a tough time coming up with keywords. Closest I found was what did you do to your car today? from @qwikredline that said:
Tailgate rust repaired. Seal replaced. [...] The reason for rust ? SAAB didn't clear coat the return on the tailgate. Failed paint. The inside sill is not cleared either. That will happen next time.
Not sure if the rust mentioned was on the tailgate itself or on the body at the tailgate opening, but maybe the cause is the same?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You don't say the model year - the first couple of years had a set of three plastic shaped sections which lined that "gutter" around the aperture. These were potential debris traps and their deletion on later years didn't seem to have any detrimental effects.

If you're going to the trouble of POR-15 etc, you might as well rub off as much of the rust as you can beforehand, thus giving the POR a better head start. A grinding head on a Dremel perhaps? POR is pretty glutinous so should fill any scratches thus created.

My 2004 wagon has so far been good in that area, although I'm not 100% sure about the extreme leading edge of the tailgate where it contacts the rubber strip on the roof edge.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry--mine is 2006. No plastic that I recall.

As far as rust, I was planning on following the POR-15 "protocol" that cleans and pre-treats the area, claiming to convert rust. I'm assuming these are spot-weld areas as they are regularly spaced. I'll try to snap a photo and post here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, definitely use the "rust conversion" stuff. Had good luck with it, without the POR 15 just quality spray can paint, on a 70's rust magnet. No rust return after a couple decades. I probably over applied the converter, did'nt want to deal with it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts