SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
It seems that the 9-2X Arc and Aero becomes simply the 9-2X, configured like the old Arc, except 10 more hp (to be 175).

The 9-3 Linear, Arc, and Aero becomes simply the 9-3 and 9-3 Aero. The upcoming 9-3 is configured like the old Arc with ACC, 210 hp. I wonder if the trunk emblems will no longer be 2.0t, 2.0T, and Aero but simply Aero or nothing.

The 9-5 Arc and Aero becomes simply the 9-5. It has a 260 hp 2.3-16turbo.

It seems like they want to simplify importation by having fewer different combinations. However, they did not reduce the number of options.

I just got a 9-3 Linear. When first reading the link, I thought "I should have waited until the 2006 model year at get 35 more hp". Reading further, I have no regrets because the 2006 9-3 is simply an Arc with the less prefered ACC (in my opinion) and higher costs. I also needed a car this year, not later.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Looks like the 6 speed is back for the Aero - in both manual AND now auto version too. That's a good selling point. Not many 6 speed autos out there...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
The brochure is intended for fleet buyers. I would be suspect of the information contained in it for retail customers.
I could see maybe the fleets only getting a certain variation of the cars (limit the choices). But to offer the 6 speeds only to fleets, and not retail, that would be completely shocking...:eek:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Jet 9-3 said:
But to offer the 6 speeds only to fleets, and not retail, that would be completely shocking...:eek:
I agree. I would not be surprised to see the 6-speed manual return in the Aero model. SAAB has already announced a 6-speed automatic in the new Aero, so a new manual would not surprise.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
I agree. I would not be surprised to see the 6-speed manual return in the Aero model. SAAB has already announced a 6-speed automatic in the new Aero, so a new manual would not surprise.
This brochure lists the 6 speed manual too (it's just not listed as "new for 2006" up top). Aero only. Maybe they should have created a "returning after 1 year hiatus" section :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
The brochure is intended for fleet buyers. I would be suspect of the information contained in it for retail customers.
Who does Saab sell to in fleet quantities?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
1BadPig said:
The brochure is for the North American market it appears. However, SAAB does sell a lot of vehicles to companies in the UK. It is a not uncommon perk in the UK to have your employer buy you a vehicle as part of your compensation. It was originally started as a tax avoidance scheme, but now has become something expected. I don't know who buys SAAB's in fleet vehicle quantities in the US.

Nonetheless, Dulles Airport, in Northern Virginia, has a SAAB NG900/9-3 in yellow that that use on the ramp as a safety vehicle. I was boarding a Delta flight a few months ago and noticed a "safety" yellow SAAB sitting down below the plane. It had markings as an official car. I'll ask about it next time I'm there.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
1BadPig said:
The big fleet leasing companies such as GELCO, Wheels, PH&H, etc.
These co. will lease vehicles to pharmaceutical sales reps and other industries. Pfizer for instance has I bet at least 11,000 vehicles in the US alone. J&J was offering the 9-3 last year to managers...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was told by a local dealer a couple of months ago that the Linear (convertible) would be phased out shortly - In the UK the Linear has cloth seats and the market for a 'vert without leather is pretty non-existent - he said they had only sold a couple of Linear 'verts, but many many more Vectors.

A neighbour of mine works for a large insurance company and they fleet purchase from GM - since Saab are now part of GM his company car in January will be a Saab (after test-driving my 93 SC) - he's even going for his first convertible after some prompting from his wife! ;)

One of his projects in his management role is to assess what grade of car is suitable for various grades of staff. i.e. you don't want some junior 'oik' turning up at a client in a top-spec motor, whilst the directors should be driving something better than an old Vauxhall Vectra, etc.

Luckily for him, a Saab 93 SC fits his position perfectly! ;)

ATB,

Phil

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
robert_in_ca said:
Guys, this brochure is for fleet buyers ONLY! Nothing more, nothing less.
We know. I contend that there is no way in hell that 6 speed transmissions will be offered to fleets and not retail. And if the 6 speed is indeed a reality for 06, in manual and auto form, it's pretty big news, IMO

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
Nonetheless, Dulles Airport, in Northern Virginia, has a SAAB NG900/9-3 in yellow that that use on the ramp as a safety vehicle. I was boarding a Delta flight a few months ago and noticed a "safety" yellow SAAB sitting down below the plane. It had markings as an official car. I'll ask about it next time I'm there.
I know this is a bit off topic but Rob brought it up. He may have seen a Surface Friction Test vehicle. Info is at the links below. It is a pretty interesting use of our favorite rides.

http://www.saabclub.com/210/frictest.htm
http://www.asft.se/main.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the V6. That thing looks nice, especially with the 18 inch rims. I have a lease until Mar 07. I guess i have to wait....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
I don't know who buys SAAB's in fleet vehicle quantities in the US.
The Police Dept. in Aspen, CO perhaps? :cool: Don't forget companies that buy or lease vehicles for their executives and upper management as company cars either...

Rob in Atlanta said:
Minneapolis has one too (in fact it is usually parked right by where I work in Minneapolis airport). Some guy has a job that entails speedily driving a Saab down a recently-snowplowed runway and testing for ice buildup. There is a big water tank mounted in the backseat to weigh down the car. I found a website for the friction testing gear and they were based in Sweden somewhere. The options were naturally, a Saab 900 (at the time, now a 9-3) or a Ford Taurus (blah!) To tell you how fun it is to drive - I see the airport officials driving the ice friction testing car around all the time, especially in the summer! :) Somehow I think that taking the Saab down an empty runway at 11:30p when all the traffic is mostly done for the day and seeing what it can do seems kind of fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts