SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've be playing around with the front bumper off the black "parts car" I have.
I cut the guts out of it and installed alloy side panels.
I also spray painted it "stealth" flat black. I'm not sure if I like it or not tho. :confused: I'll probably spray it it red again

Let me know what you think :p.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Not worried about front end structural integrity now the main bumper beam is cut in half? Here in the UK that would probably be illegal as it also increases the risk of pedestrian injury - infact I'm pretty sure US legistaltion on this is quite strict as well. Nice workmanship but too 'rice' for my taste.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, not worried about front end structural integrity at all.:p
But I do agree it looks a bit rice. I'll spray it red and see if that makes it look better.

And the front beam isn't quite cut in half, It still has the top part intact.

·
Registered
606 Posts
looks good, need red and take off the mesh for the fogs. other than that, i like it;ol;

I would also like to see a 9-3 bumper with this done to it to see how it looks.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
The craftsmanship behind that is outstanding. Truly excellent work. It is a little "in your face" but I bet it does what you wanted - maximize airflow to the business end of your IC - which looks beautiful too. If painting the bumper to match does not tone it down enough, can you flush mount some mesh over it to follow the contours of the original bumper? Don't know it that would do it though either.
One thing is for certain - you will be getting some attention from the street-racer crowd. If I were a cop, I would ticket you when you were parked, for future speeding violations certain to occur.;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Painting it red will give that young boy Japanese car look and ruin the effect. The car has black accents all over it so this would warrant painting the IC black.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your replys

The craftsmanship behind that is outstanding. Truly excellent work.
It is a little "in your face" but I bet it does what you wanted - maximize airflow to the business end of your IC - which looks beautiful too.

If painting the bumper to match does not tone it down enough, can you flush mount some mesh over it to follow the contours of the original bumper? Don't know it that would do it though either.
One thing is for certain - you will be getting some attention from the street-racer crowd. If I were a cop, I would ticket you when you were parked, for future speeding violations certain to occur.;)
I'm going to paint it red next weekend. The black looks a bit ricey.
I get enough attention for the street racer crowd now. My number plates are like magnets to them. :lol:

And the cops tend to leave me alone. I'm 40 :eek:. The cops pick on the kids.;)

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
. . . And the cops tend to leave me alone. I'm 40 :eek:. The cops pick on the kids.;)
I hit the double nickel myself in two weeks. Double :eek:. But I still see the blue & reds behind me every once in awhile. Thrice in the last 6 or 7 years. In fact, finally picked up 2 points on the old licence (British spelling intended) a few weeks ago. The previous ones I contested and bargained down to "equipment violations." I just paid this one because I was too lazy to appear and defend.

Anyway, I really admire your fabrication skills. Lots of attention to detail. Nothing looks hacked out. Very professional finished look to everything. Well played. Well played indeed.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice work on the IC baffles. Its never easy mixing function and form. Do you notice any differences?
I haven't been driving it hard to notice any performance gains. I'm sure there would be tho.
I do notice I'm getting alot more looks..... from all the ladies :p (Milfs)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to ricey stuff but that actually looks alright. Maybe coloring it would help but I say it's off to a good start. Way to go.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Paint it red, get rid of the screens in front of the fogs, or re-do them. Leave the bottom part of the front bumper (lip) black to match the side skirts.
Great job.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think it would look soo much better if the bumper wasnt so "perky" if you know what i mean, if it didnt sit so far out then i would say keep it forsure, paint it red see what you think. still looks pretty bad *** tho, but it does kinda eliminate the whole sleeper status tho

·
Registered
511 Posts
- infact I'm pretty sure US legistaltion on this is quite strict as well.
Depends on where you live.
Here just about anything can be on the road. Several months back I saw a Ford Explorer that had clearly caught on fire (whole front was melted and bubbling) that was being driven around.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here in michigan, it seems as long as your vehicle has insurance, head lights, tail lighs, blinkers, and seat belts its legal on the road.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like the look, but it makes it un stealthy. maybe a combination between that and a stock bumper would look good.

maybe just a little more bumper along the top and more of a lip on the bottom, all body matched color and ;ol;

Either way its fun modifying the look to be a little more custom. Ive changed my front grill 3 times now. its finally a simple gloss black and clear coated. im in the process of painting my valve cover right now. i just want my car to be a little different then other saabs on the road but still be a saab.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts