SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now , for no apparent reason , my 2000 9-5 2.3t wagon will stutter before starting. On trying ignition , the cluster light panel appears WEAK (no life in those lights ) and then after some , "throat cleansing noise" - it will eventually
muster up power to start.
Few days ago , it just sat totally DEAD - no lights until I used my battery pack to jump it and it started.

I am trying to figure out the prob.
Where's the bug
-- bad battery
---something sucking away the battery after I lock my car and keeping it low.

In that context some observations

-- In past there had been some occasions when I'd leave stuff on and suck away the battery but in such cases , after a jump start the AC PANEL will do a count down with a bright orange light - like 10 thru 1 before I can see the ac turn on. In these recent cases , there's nothing like that , unless I am mistaken.

-- Off recently I got service security alarm since some 6 months but it never troubled .All was well working wise.

-- Even more recently I had rained my ignition hole that would refuse to pop up , till I opened it and it would keep "dinging" and I had to manually lock the car with key. Now touch wood , it does and I can remote lock

-- Above more than yr ago I disconnected the siren. It was quirky and blew after the car was locked. I read somewhere that the security module still keeps looking for siren and a tech2 needs to step in to ask it not to . Could this be related ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When was the last time the battery was changed? First thing I would do would be to take the battery to an automotive store (Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc.) and have the battery tested and charged (presuming it is still good). Sounds like a bad battery. You may also want to check the conditions of your battery cables and ground connections to make sure they're nice, clean and tight. The starting problem could also be caused by dirty cables that attach to the starter and you may have to clean those (don't forget to remove the negative battery cable before you start working on the starter, or you'll get zapped).

Also, if you have a multi-meter, check the battery output when car is off (should be 12+ volts) and when running (should be 13.6-14.5 volts or so) to confirm that the alternator is working properly and charging battery when running. If you get less than 13.5 volts with the car running, alternator could be on its way out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts