SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 90T absolutely refuses to start until about the fifth cranking. This only happens when the engine had been running awhile. It seems to start OK when cold. Any ideas on what to check or replace first?

Rick:roll:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
has it always been like this or has it happened after some work, like fuel pump replacement, the reason i ask is that early wulbo (sp?) pumps have the one way valve in the pump and if you fit a later pump, this doesnt have the one way valve, so after the pump switches off the pressure in the fuel rail drops allowing the fuel to evaporate, so when you try and start your car you have to wait until the pressure has risen enough for the engine to run, this equats to a long start time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the pressure regulator did that so I replaced it and still have the same problem. Don't know if the pump has been changed or if the fuel filter might be causing this. Not sure what diagnostic procedure to try next. Someone mentioned checking the NTC sensor and the MAP sensor but I can't find them. Ideas anyone?

Rick

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The MAP is behind the false bulkhead in the engine bay on the right hand side. Haynes suggests that hot start problems can occur when the Air filter is dirty or clogged, you have low cylinder compression or there is a fault with the fuel injection system, hope it's your air filter

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
a 1990 9000 wont have a MAP sensor it has an air mass meter on the filter housing and the NTC is in the inlet manifold between cyl 2 & 3 pertruding into the water jacket,.

as for the prob i mentioned before , yes the fuel reg does maintain the pressure at the engine end but there is also a one way valve at the pump end to hold the fuel under pressure once the pump has stopped

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar problem after I ran out of petrol. I would have to keep turning over the engine for about 30 secsonds. I hotwired a switch to the fuel pump. This allowed me to prime the fuel pump before starting the car. This worked for a few weeks before the fuel pump completely died. This 'quick fix' will allow you to test the system without sheeling out for a new pump. The pump is pretty easy to fit and was about 90 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts