SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the audio controls on the steering wheel work besides the horn. All the buttons were tested with Tech 2. Also the wipers, indicators and indicator sound works.

With Tech you can force the relay to activate and the horns work. There was sound. So the problem is between the wheel and the relay.

Should I change the clock spring? Or the whole CIM-unit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will change that. Are all clock springs interchangeable together? Or do I need to find a 2004 TCS CIM?

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
All ng 9-3 clock springs are interchangeable.

BTW: where are you, I'm in Vantaa

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Thought so too. Now I just need to find a newer one with low km's.

I live next to you, in Helsinki.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try and change the clock spring by myself. Thinking of getting another complete CIM and disassembling it. Are there any special tricks that would help the job?

I also came up with a couple of questions:

Should I take the battery off while doing it (because of airbag)?
Do wheels have to be aligned straight all the time?
In what position should the clock spring put in place?

·
Super Moderator
20,382 Posts
Seems like this would do the trick.

Pretty sure there are videos on how to remove the CIM too.
Yes, take the battery negative off.

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
You do not need to unplug battery before changing CIM.
Wheels must be straight.
CIM has pointing dot/arrow for clock spring position.
You must have TECH2 for marrying CIM and keys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like this would do the trick.

Pretty sure there are videos on how to remove the CIM too.
Yes, take the battery negative off.
Yep, thanks! Got the idea to change only the clock spring from that video. Seems doable. There are also couple of videos how to remove the CIM. Makes things a lot easier for a first try ;ol;

You do not need to unplug battery before changing CIM.
Wheels must be straight.
CIM has pointing dot/arrow for clock spring position.
You must have TECH2 for marrying CIM and keys.
So there's no risk with the airbag with power on? Do I need a TECH2 if I only change the clock spring? I thought that it could be changed without TECH2, because the most of the CIM stays original.

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
remove negative for at least 10 mins before remove airbag allowing for the capacitor to discharge...It's always good practice to disconnect battery when doing any electrical work..no need for tech2 when just replacing the clock spring..

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
You can unplug battery if you like, but it is not necessary, just keep keys in your pocket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
remove negative for at least 10 mins before remove airbag allowing for the capacitor to discharge...It's always good practice to disconnect battery when doing any electrical work..no need for tech2 when just replacing the clock spring..
With airbag I think it's better to be safe than sorry. What should I do with the steering lock? Or do I even need to spin the wheel when changing the clock spring? Thought it could help to spin it to better position when removing the airbag module. Or just straighten the wheels, take the keys off and then remove the battery?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts