SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 9-5 Aero with auto trans. I was told by the previous owner it would only go into gear when it wanted to. The last time he drove it he made it a block from home and it would not go forward. I got it trailered home and in garage. The tranny fluid was overfilled and was very brown but did not smell like trans fluid or burnt trans fluid. I started my troubleshooting. There was no DTC's. Gear selector at trans moves with shifter. When shifter is in reverse, the reverse lights do come on. Drained and refilled trans with proper fluid. After getting to level and letting run for 15 minutes fluid still cold to touch. Unhooked harness to TCM and started and it thru a code right away indicationg no communication to TCM, and still did not have any gears. (p1923 I think it was, looked it up at that time and it was for the TCM comm.) Cleared the code hooked TCM back up and no code would come up. Went through all gears giving time at each but there isn't any grab of any sort or change in idle. When I go from reverse to park it will idle real low and even stalled a few times. I am thinking internal mechanical problems such as blockage or pump or valve body. But before pulling the tranny thought I would throw this out there to see if I could get any suggestions as I do know electronics are a big part of trans these days. Also this might be insignificant but the winter mode button will light up on the cluster however the sport mode does not. i dont know if that would indicate anything or not. I have tried the gears in winter mode but still nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Your car has the 4-speed Aisin warner transmission (I think it's the 50-42LE but there should be a tag on the top just behind the neutral safety switch) in it, so my recent experience on the 5-speed is a bit off, but...

Most of the shift functions on the transmission are controlled by a number of solenoids. Each of the solenoids should be able to be measured for resistance from the connector between the TCM and the transmission. (on the 03 there is a short harness that comes out of the transmission and then it connects to a second harness just under the battery) If you can get ahold of the WIS you can get the pinout for each of the solenoids.

On the AW55 5-speed, the linear solenoids should be about 12 ohms and the shift solenoids should be about 6 ohms.

This is a relatively easy thing to do if you can get into the connector.

There are also a lot of taps on the transmission case that allow you to connect on a pressure gauge to see what is going on. A competent transmission shop will be able to do this to diagnose the transmission instead of just telling you that you need a complete removal and rebuild.

BTW, the valve body can be taken out of the car with the transmission in the car on the 5-speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the 50-42LE tranny. I will see about getting the info for the pin outs. I didn't think it would be the solenoids due to different solenoids effect different gears, but I will check them. The car has 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
yea, that one looks like it doesn't have the linear solenoids like the AW55, those control a lot of pressure for the other shift solenoids.

I found a ton of info on the AW55 when I was looking at mine, primarily from Volvo owners, on how to diagnose what was going on. You could google the AW50-42LE and see if you can find a similar amount of documentation.

Does the transmission happen to be in limp home mode? They put the transmission in a high gear (AW55 goes into 5th) and when standing still it appears like it's not working. (shift it to L and see what happens)

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does have the limp home mode. It does not engage in any gear. I have ran the shifter through each positionand does nothing, not even a clunk or anything. Almost as if the cable isn't moving the selector located on the trans itself, but it is I checked that. I was able to test bout half the pins on the tcm cable and all checked good. i havent tested the pins on the tcm itself. I will be doing that tomorrow. I have a good tranny in the garage that if the tcm pins test ok I will swap the valve bodies to see what happens. If that dont work looks like I'll be be swapping the whole trans. What else is there to do in 20 degree weather?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
That to me sounds like you have no pressure from the primary pump in the tranny. I'll ask the obvious about checking the fluid level?

The Valve Body isn't a huge project, it does come out with the transmission in the car but getting the transmission mount and cover off is a tight fit. I just did it a couple of times in the last few weeks (and still have not resolved my issue, grrrrr)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts