SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those of you without foglights: what do you have in the place where the light housing is? Is there a cover plate or something?

Pictures welcome. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks Dex! I hate to pic nits, but genuinesaab says those are for the older saabs. Do they fit on our SSs?

Are you installing the fogs yourself? How'd you order them? What was the part number?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oops sorry I didn't see the model year on the web site but they sure look like what is on my car.

There is a better pic of a 9-3 Linear W/O Fog's In the Krg05-93 I got my car post. He has a link to some pic's of his car.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47365

I am going to Install the Fog's my self and then take the car in for the Tech II change. I guess the wiring is all there and you just need a fog light kit and the switch.

Here are the Part Numbers. (Well that’s what I ordered any way). I just took the numbers to the local dealer and had them order them for me. I found the parts numbers this web site. http://www.elkparts.co.uk

Fog Light Kit #12787092

Switch #12786133

D.

FYI - I see in the want adds you are looking for steering wheel controls, Elkparts has them in three colors. At the least you can take the part no.(12786152, 12801607, 12801609) and see i you can order them though your dealer. The parts catalog on genuinesaab.com has them starting out at $42.

Just thought i would put that in if you havn't found them already.

X

·
0 Posts
Dexter, if your car wasnt installed with fogs originally you may need the relay as well. I dont think that you will need a tech 2 for fogs!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I don't have the fogs.....I am looking for the Speedparts ones and I know they exist, it is just a matter of finding out where I can get them.

As for a front-grill picture of car without fogs....here you go:

Hope this helps!!!

Paul

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Finn said:
Dexter, if your car wasnt installed with fogs originally you may need the relay as well. I dont think that you will need a tech 2 for fogs!! :confused:
You need TechII changes for your fogs, if you have DRL's....and to tell the system you have them.

you jut need a new control unit in the front....that is all. I suspect it comes off easily, somehow. I have a suspiscion that it is accessible via the relay panel inside the drivers door.

I have yet to check that out.

Paul

·
Registered
650 Posts
you need the two housings and the switch. the easiest way to add the fog lamps is to remove the front bumper skin, then carefully pry the plastic grill out. after that you can remove the covers and slide in the new foglights. the wiring is all exsisting and nothign needs to be added (ie relay or fuses). the fornt switch per workshop is removed by pulluing the fuse cover panel and then pushing it out from the back. it does not popout without some considerable convincing however.

a TechII with verison 116.00 is needed as well as security access to add them in the bus however. without adding them to the bus they will not light up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do the fogs make a difference?

I've been thinking about adding fogs too, but my experience with them in various other cars have been that they just light up the ground directly in front of the car and not much further down the road.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
XC_Rider said:
I've been thinking about adding fogs too, but my experience with them in various other cars have been that they just light up the ground directly in front of the car and not much further down the road.

Uhh, thats the purpose of them. Fog lights are for driving in the fog only. They are not for "how many lights can I have on at one time". I hate it when schmucks drive with all their lights on. :x They think it's cool. :roll:

·
Registered
161 Posts
finklejag said:
Uhh, thats the purpose of them. Fog lights are for driving in the fog only. They are not for "how many lights can I have on at one time". I hate it when schmucks drive with all their lights on. :x They think it's cool. :roll:
Lighting up the ground in front of your car has no purpose in any kind of weather. The point is to have a lower light source to shine under the fog rather than through it. If they're aimed at the ground, they won't help.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
XC_Rider said:
Lighting up the ground in front of your car has no purpose in any kind of weather. The point is to have a lower light source to shine under the fog rather than through it. If they're aimed at the ground, they won't help.
Exactly....however, I still like the look of all four lights running......pretty cool... :D

Paul

·
Registered
353 Posts
XC_Rider said:
You must not have low profile tires: I use the lower level 'driving lights' (remember, they are not yellow hence not true 'fogs') to view the area directly in front of my car to aviod potholes and other nasties on dark nights. Clearly, this is a side road/back road statement as this is far more practical at low speeds.

Also, in ugly weather or other bad driving conditions, it cannot hurt to have additional front lighting for the sake of visibility to other drivers.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nimisys said:
you need the two housings and the switch. the easiest way to add the fog lamps is to remove the front bumper skin, then carefully pry the plastic grill out. after that you can remove the covers and slide in the new foglights. the wiring is all exsisting and nothign needs to be added (ie relay or fuses). the fornt switch per workshop is removed by pulluing the fuse cover panel and then pushing it out from the back. it does not popout without some considerable convincing however.
Brother bumper skin.....are you talking about the actual bumper itself??

As front switch....I figured it was as easy as popping the cover panel and pushing it out. But I guess you need some kind of a butter knife or something to help it as my fingers are not long enough. I did look at it though and did notice that applying pressure to the switch will push the unit out.

That I think is the easy part as the plugs should work. The lights is a different thing. I would hope that it doesn't require the actual removal of the bumper, but a picture or illustrated install would help. :)

Take care.
Paul

X

·
0 Posts
Nimisys said:
the easiest way to add the fog lamps is to remove the front bumper skin,
I cant believe that removing the bumber is the easiest route :eek: The 9-3 is not that different to the 9-5, and you just pop out the grille and place in the fog lamp, it then secures from behind. :confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
brunp said:
I don't have the fogs.....I am looking for the Speedparts ones and I know they exist, it is just a matter of finding out where I can get them.
Hi!
Are you talking about these:

If so. I wrote to SP last week and asked when they will come for sale but the answer was that there was no plans to start selling these. :cry:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Pelle said:
Hi!
Are you talking about these:

If so. I wrote to SP last week and asked when they will come for sale but the answer was that there was no plans to start selling these. :cry:
YEP....these are the ones I am talking about.....damn....so they are not available.

How did you get to this link anyway? I guess that my Swedish is not up to par....but I did email them and nobody got back to me. I guess there are no English speakers at SpeedParts.

I would like to get Fog Lights and these ones look pretty cool....

Paul

·
Registered
749 Posts
brunp said:
YEP....these are the ones I am talking about.....damn....so they are not available.

How did you get to this link anyway? I guess that my Swedish is not up to par....but I did email them and nobody got back to me. I guess there are no English speakers at SpeedParts.

I would like to get Fog Lights and these ones look pretty cool....

Paul
Let me know if you want me to write them an email, and I have to agree with Finkle...people with fogs cruzing thru the city centre should be shot, hanged and raped with a giant oak tree twice a day as punishment.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
That would be great if you could do that for me. If they are able to provide these fogs to me in Canada and/or through their GenuineSaab.com distributor in the States. I would buy them and order the control switch from the retailer out here in Canada.

Please let me know.
Thanks
Paul

1 - 20 of 34 Posts