SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 turbo and am wondering if i can take off all of the exhaust piping after the stock downpipe with out messing anything up. its only going to be for about 24 hours then im putting it all back, i want to fit this electric cutout on the downpipe. http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm will this help my performance at all?
Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its going to be really loud... Better buy some earplugs. I had the exhaust off (from the cat back) on my 900S and it was very loud inside the car. It went from a rumble at idle and as it rose higher in rpm the sound increased to a scream that rang in my ears. I had to wear ear plugs because the sound was resinating in the interior. It wasn't terribly loud outside but inside it was amost unbearable without earplugs as the rpms increased. It did turn some heads though. People could hear me coming around a corner... and expected to see a camaro or something and they see a Saab... it leaves them scratching their heads.

·
Registered
948 Posts
go for it, it sounds great, and definately an idea if you like to breath carbon monoxide...
i blew my exhaust off at the downpipe before and had to drive home 3 miles at about 15 mph because it was so loud. and yes you definately hear the turbo spooling up. my eyes were watering bad because of the fumes.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
OK to point some light here...

A turbo car is a lot quieter, mostly because the turbocharger deadens a lot of the sound to drive the turbo.

That said, it will be loud, I still have no exhaust on my 1989 900t after the catalyst.

Leave the catalyst on and it won't be too bad, I would put the cutout after the catalyst.

Fumes... well, not really if the car is in good shape. Firstly if the bottom of the car is solid there is nowhere for said fumes to get into the cabin. If you are worried open the windows or something...

Go ahead and enjoy.

·
Banned
213 Posts
i drove my 900 230 miles from my buddy's school in vermont after the seal between the headers and first section of pipe broke apart to my house in rhode island; i was averaging about 90 mph the whole way (trying to cut down on the time i have to listen to the exaust) and my car was getting back to its roots: it sounded like a WWII fighter plane!! especially when going through the tunnel in boston! but yea, i was pretty much deaf after that ride.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would put the cutout after the catalyst
no, dont......the reason for a cutout is to have it loud when you want, soft when you dont want, or the police drive by.....
as for fumes, if you have a small pipe after the cutout directing the air to the side and downward, (if pointed straight your change and **** cheeks will rattle forever) you shoudlnt have a problem.

i am getting a cutout form www.quicktimeperformance.com for my subaru wrx, (came with three cats, i have none) and i am not worrying about sound. for me, the louder the better, selectively. for performance, if its feasible do it before the cat, for more of a gain. two cents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts