SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car is turning over wont start still. The timing belt is still on and the alternator pulley seems almost frozen. When I go to turn it you can hear things rubbing together inside the alternator. Would a bad alternator be the cause of a dead battery and preventing the car from starting. The cars serp belt broke on highway along with tensioner pulley. both have been replaced just havnt been able to get it started yet. I tried to jump it for 10 mins and turn it over but the lights got very dim everytime i turned the key.

Any help from you awesome morning mechanics would be greatly apprecaited!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
willing to bet your belt broke because of that seized alternator pulley. On my old 900 I had the alternator pulley go bad and when I removed it you could hear all types of grinding as you spun the pulley, as well as push or pull the whole pulley assembly. And since your alternator seems shot that would be why everything dims when you try and start it as its drawing all current directly from the battery that is draining every time you try. I would get a replacement alternator before you end up killing your battery

·
Registered
137 Posts
willing to bet your belt broke because of that seized alternator pulley. On my old 900 I had the alternator pulley go bad and when I removed it you could hear all types of grinding as you spun the pulley, as well as push or pull the whole pulley assembly. And since your alternator seems shot that would be why everything dims when you try and start it as its drawing all current directly from the battery that is draining every time you try. I would get a replacement alternator before you end up killing your battery
What he said...;ol;

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
First thing i would do is to remove the belt and try to start it. If it starts then you are close to home it if does not start you can do 2 things.
1. Check all the pulleys for noise and replace as ness.
2. Do the stuff you need to do to get it started w/o the belt on. One you have done that and if you didnt have to replace the alt. you will be ever so much better off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to get an OBDII code reader and a compression tester and see if my cylinders have compression. if not maybe thats it?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You are avoiding your original inquiry. Take the belt off and crank it. That will tell you a great deal. Obviouly charge you battery 1st or have it load tested if you are not sure of its condition. Saab are very particular about old weak batteries. DOes things you would not expect from just a wek battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts