SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been chasing spongy brakes for a while and decided to replace the master cylinder. I just did this with no trouble but now there is 0 stopping force from the brakes.
I figured I’d have to bleed the brakes after doing the MC but I didn’t think there’d be 0 braking power. What I’m asking is is this normal or did I do something wrong and am I going to have to take the MC off again?
I should mention I do feel the MC and the brake lines flex when someone pushes on the brakes

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone's curious I bled the master cylinder while it was on the car and I think THAT fixed the problem, and then bled the brakes themselves and now the brakes are presto. Not sure which one it was but hopefully it can help someone!

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Thoroughly bleeding the master cylinder is always required when replacing it.

When everything has been bled, the 9-5 brake pedal has a very short and stiff travel.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thoroughly bleeding the master cylinder is always required when replacing it.

When everything has been bled, the 9-5 brake pedal has a very short and stiff travel.
Haha the reason I didn’t bleed it in the first place is the ONLY result for googling “brake master cylinder replacement Saab 9-5” was a vague thread on how to do it and the poster said they didn’t bother bleeding it cause it’s usually not necessary

I do believe I solved a problem because the brake pedal is more responsive but I still have a problem. The brake booster is making a large hissing noise so needs replacement, and the pedal also doesn’t feel as stiff as it should. Which confuses me, considering a bad booster is usually the opposite, but I think I’ll replace the booster and diagnose from there since I’m sure it’s bad and what’s making the hissing noise

in fact, every single component to the brakes was faulty on this car! Booster and master cylinder were bad, needed new pads and rotors, and the ABS has been falsely activating
2/4 problems solved thus far!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts