SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters 91 Saab 900 S has no break lights I checked the bulbs and the fuse, they are all good. I read somewhere that if it was a bad switch, the lights would stay on all the time, but i don't know. Can anyone help with this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
there is a pedal switch down near the break pedal. I forget exactly where, but besides checking that do any of the lights in the back work at all?

I'm assuming turn signals, and maybe check your reverse lights.

Grounds normaly cuase all kinds of crazy stuff, but check under the trunk lid (where the spare is stored) and see if the ground on that center support is on tight.

I miss anything guys?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the rest of the lights work in the back I checked the ground where the spare is, it is attached solidly to that center bar. As for the switch, it seems impossible to get at. Also what about the info I read that if the switch goes bad, the brake lights stay on all the time. I really don't want to take apart the dash to find out it wasn't the swich.

·
4,637 Posts
You might be able to reach / see the switch if you take off the loudspeaker grille above the instrument cluster. Once you see it, you'll know where to reach...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
How old are you? I don't advise this for any one over 30 ;) But if you unscrew the heating duct under that side (don't force it when you move it to look, it's one unit the whole way accross) you can take out the foam (so it doesn't get in your eye.....atleast Mine has foam around feet ducts) you can lean your drivers seat back, and lay on your back with your feet up to the roof.. I've changed around some power steering parts that way!

Then again, you could always drop teh knee bolster in about 15 min. But I'm like Steve.. I find myself doing things the hard way :lol::cheesy:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
4saabstoomany said:
But I'm like Steve.. I find myself doing things the hard way :lol::cheesy:
... what's this not if you're over 30 stuff??? The brake light switch isn't that tough to get to - the main issue is getting light up there while you're crawling around under the dash - to facilitate that might I recommend pulling the drivers side speaker grill off the dash and aiming a light DOWN through the hole? Works like a charm - allows you to inventory spider nests and the like while foam bits and old wire fall into your eyes -

The brake light switch is a "R" rated job, IMHO, right along with the wiper relay replacement - dash light would be a "G" rated event - haven't run into an "X" rated job on my Saab yet (on VW's - you betcha - on the Saab - no)

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, Yup I'm over 30 so no worries about the Xrated stuff I might find, which I didn't. :D I followed both suggestions, laid the seat back, moved the heater duct out of the way and removed the speaker grill and put some light on the subject from above. It took only about 30 min. to replace the switch, now all is good again. Thanks for the help, Cya next time

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Man I love helping people :)

We rock so hard guys!!!!! ;) :cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts