SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ,

i had an strange problem , i discover my turbo is not working out of a sudden during my drive , it happen when i was about to overtake a car , the power stall at 3500 to 4000 rpm when i floor thr throttle . the workshop guys told me that my td04 turbo had an leak of pressure internally that could not boost , but everything seem normal and no white smoke comin out .
Would any expert advise on that or is it the turbo damage and need to be replace or something that i have overlook .

Thanks ,:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Check to see if the wastegate rod has become detached, sometimes the clip falls off.........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Check to see if the wastegate rod has become detached, sometimes the clip falls off.........

well my workshop guys did use the air-pressure through the apc tube to show me that the waste-gate is workin well , they even try to tighten it , but it seem no progress at all .

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Any warning lights come up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Any warning lights come up?
no ! no warning lights at all , the car were so smooth ,as long you don't floor it exceed 3500rpm , if anything more than that you will a pull and the power stall at that point .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont think there are any sensors on the exhaust side of the turbo (except O2 which is way downstream), so if Chris 9-5's diagnosis is correct, it's a purely mechanical issue that will not trigger a problem on OBDII.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Does the car actually stall?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Does the car actually stall?
NO , the car still movin smoothing as long you don boost , which mean i am drivin in an NA .
the needle of the boost guage show is fleaking up and down and it would go beyond 1 bar ,

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Have they actually checked that clip and rod - or did they just pressurise the wastegate / dump valve?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Have they actually checked that clip and rod - or did they just pressurise the wastegate / dump valve?
Yes , i was beside the my mechanics and he show me eveything , we even check through all the hoses to make sure there is no leak at all , he even tighten rod nut and rod . but as i know the wastegate is to release the air-pressure from the tubro but mine seen it not buildin up pressure at all ??
:cry:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Very strange.......

A misfire would give a CEL (unless its CPS)

A vacuum leak would give a CEL

A busted turbo would give some somke wouldnt it??? - Unless the thing has siezed?

Maybe they need to take the cobra pipe off and see if the impeller still spins?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Very strange.......

A misfire would give a CEL (unless its CPS)

A vacuum leak would give a CEL

A busted turbo would give some somke wouldnt it??? - Unless the thing has siezed?

Maybe they need to take the cobra pipe off and see if the impeller still spins?[/QUOTE

We did took out the corba pipe but only using our little fringer to spins the impeller and yet it still turns ,
but my mechanics said it would be 2 possible problem , 1 is the fin of the impeller thats has wore out and it not gettin or spining in the pressure of air , or could be the impeller or i call the fin that is out balance ??

i discover this problem while overtakin , but i did not stop down cos the cars seem alright , with this problem , i have been drivin at a speed of 120 to 140 km/h with heavy down pour and clock a distance of 480km non-stop to reach home . until today i still look out for any white smoke when i start my cars .
Really strange . cos i have come across blow turbo before , and i know what will happen .

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well I have to say, good luck, I have run out of ideas ;oops:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Well I have to say, good luck, I have run out of ideas ;oops:

i hope so that i would be my best of luck ,

but my last question is , is there a possibility of leak or lost pressure in the turbo itself , as what my mechanic said ??

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
A leak would normally give a "check engine light" warning :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
Shot in the dark...What if the Bypass Valve is leaking at that pressure?

Chris - isn't that what happened with your forge unit before you changed the spring?
Oh yes , another items to troubleshoot from .

thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might be worth trying a different DI cassette. When the one in my 2001 Aero went faulty the car started misfiring under hard acceleration, which sounds a bit like what you are experiencing.

If you can get a Tech II attached look at to see what the misfire counts are. Mine had high counts on cylinders 1 & 4.

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dan_aero said:
Might be worth trying a different DI cassette. When the one in my 2001 Aero went faulty the car started misfiring under hard acceleration, which sounds a bit like what you are experiencing.

If you can get a Tech II attached look at to see what the misfire counts are. Mine had high counts on cylinders 1 & 4.

Dave
Dave ,

eventually , before this happen ,my rides currently had this fault code P1312 , and the problem were solve after i had my servicing and replace an new DI , and the agent confirm is the DI failure . i will be replacing in my spare turbo to see whats the outcome , if it still fail , i suspect it could be the ECU that cause this issue but the engine light will still appear, well i hope that i am wrong , but we do come across this problem .
mine is an tune-up ecu by ..... shld i mention ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.