SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me out here. My 01 9-5 2.3L base model turbo went and I replaced it with one I had in a box of parts. The replacement turbo came with an engine I bought for another project and was reported to have 92k miles. The newturbo is not blowing smoke but I have no boost and the turbo guage is spiking. The car has no power and is stalling on hills but starts and idles fine. Its as if the wastegate is stuck open. I rechecked all the lines and it appears everything connected properly.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hoping someone can help me out here. My 01 9-5 2.3L base model turbo went and I replaced it with one I had in a box of parts. The replacement turbo came with an engine I bought for another project and was reported to have 92k miles. The newturbo is not blowing smoke but I have no boost and the turbo guage is spiking. The car has no power and is stalling on hills but starts and idles fine. Its as if the wastegate is stuck open. I rechecked all the lines and it appears everything connected properly.
First, what did you replace your turbo with? Was it the Garrett turbo or the Mitsubishi TD04? Did you rebuild the replacement turbo before putting it in? Did you check the bearings / impeller before installing the replacement turbo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the stock GT1752 turbo, no rebuild. I made the leap of faith that it was good. The bad turbo was really bad! clouds of blue smoke. I had to drive it 30+ miles like that.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It was the stock GT1752 turbo, no rebuild. I made the leap of faith that it was good. The bad turbo was really bad! clouds of blue smoke. I had to drive it 30+ miles like that.
Did you prime the turbo properly upon installation? Also did you make sure to reconnect all turbo lines? Also check to make sure the wastegate arm did not come off, as the circlip can occasionally do

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prime the turbo??? I just slapped it in its been sitting for a couple of years. Checked and double checked all the lines and connections.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Prime the turbo is making sure that the oil lines are filled with oil. (disconnect the DIC and crank for 20-30 seconds)

Without doing this, you run the risk of spinning up the turbo without any oil and damaging it before you even get going.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't think I fried it, no smoke. The car was running good for about a mile. I think it may be in LHM. Will check when I get home. Does not explain the spikng boost gauge with no boost though. I'm going to drop the exhaust and see if the wastegate is stuck open.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Sounds like the turbo seized since you ran it with no oil.. U must prime it or it will run without oil and get destroyed almost immediately.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, found the problem, I had loosened the black plastic inlet to the TB but never removed it therefore I did not re-tighten and it lifted off the TB under load. Once I tightened the snorkel no more stalling under load. Thanks to all who chimed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts