SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My back up lights don't seem to come on. I pulled the console and switch. Jumping the wires into the switch brings on the lights. Measured the resistance on the switch and that seem to be ok. Took out the washer to push it in a bit and no luck. I don't seem to have reverse ignition lock out any more, so not sure if that could be a problem. Thoughts would be appreciated? Oh, it's a 93 vert non-turbo (my brake lights also stay on, but that's for another day. Freak warmth had me check into the reverse today, so if not a quick check, it may have to wait until spring. [kicking up on the brake pedal during shifting seems to solve that problem for now, and only drive it on nice days]).

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Brake lights on is a misadjusted switch on the pedal.

Reverse lights are either the switch or the lever inside the shifter housing that engages the switch. If the reverse lockout isn't working, I would suspect a problem in the housing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm going to do it now, but how do you take apart the housing? The only thing I see are the 3 torx screws at the ball (and from some searchs may need a special tool for those).

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Three torx screws removes the shifter itself. Taking apart the housing requires removing it from the car (three goofy triangle nuts) and then removing the screws along the bottom. You may be able to see the problem just by removing the shifter, so do that first, but be prepared for surgery.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. This would be a new talk for me. I will probably remove the shifter if I get a warm day and check it out (from the one pic I saw of it, it looks like the switch is back from it a bit). From my searches it looked like it would be a task to remove the housing. It may all have to wait until spring. I do plan on removing the sponge under the carpet this spring (especially because of the leaky top), so may do all the surgery then.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Yeah, getting the shifter housing out is an adventure. Remove at least one seat (or go crazy working around), remove the center console, remove the shifter, remove the housing. Solid couple hours of work for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts