SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, it looks great.

I have a 1999, 9-5 4 cylinder I bought new in Dec 1998, it has 88,000 miles. About a week ago I noticed that the climate control does not blow air from the vents on initial start up. Temp outside 90 Farenhiet, climate control set at 72. After about 5-10 minutes of driving the air starts to blow out of the vents like nomal. If I shut the ignition off its stops blowing and will start again after about the same length of time (5-10 minutes). I have tried everything from going to manual back to auto, reset the system (I get 0 on the diagnostic), even rinsed off the condenser and radiator. Has anyone seen problem before. I have an appointment to take to the dealer on Monday.

Question. Does the 9-5 4 cylinder timing chain have to be replace and if so at what mileage.

Thanks for any help, Charlie

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Welcome Charlie,

Sounds like the air con has been pre programmed to come in late, if you study the owners guide it tells you how to set your own settings, hopefully that will do it!

Another idea might be the ventilation fan starting to fail, mine is an 98 and the fan has just died :confused:

The chain, no it gets changed when it makes a very loud noise, hopefully at a mileage well over 150,000 miles ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, thanks for the reply, I will definitely check the pre-programs out as soon as my wife comes home from school today (its her car). My only question is that I have never changed anything on the AC in almost 6 years I have owned the car, unless it was done my mistake. I will let you know.

Charlie

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Charlie, try pressing AUTO and the LOWER FAN SPEED buttons at the same time, this should cancel all programmed options.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Any Kids?

Mine press every button in the car before I get my seat belt on :roll:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, it would not surprise me if my wife may have done something accidently to the AC. We are empty nesters, two boys all grown up.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'd never suggest the wife could have done it............no way :nono;

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife got home from school this afternoon (she is a high school teacher) and apparently the car AC has worked perfect all day (to and from school). That's the first time that has happened all week. My dilema is do I take it to the dealer on Monday as scheduled if its working fine, have them tell me that its working fine, and pay $100 or more for those words, or do I wait till it's hard broke. I plan on driving the car this weekend to see if it stops working again. Any ideas!

Charlie

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
See if it behaves itself at the weekend. If it does, just ring them and tell them the fault rectified itself.....no harm done, no cost incurred. :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On Sunday, I started the car 6 times and the AC blew air 4 times. So 66% of the time it was working. I decided to drop the car off last night at the dealership and maybe they could figure out what the problem is or at least seen it before. I got a call this AM from the service writer and she said that she cannot duplicate the problem. :confused: Two options, pick the car up and bring it back when its hard broke, or pay $125 and have the mechanic tell me it cannot be duplicated. I've decided to pick up the car and wait for further developments.

My thought process was that I was sure they would have seen this before and would know exactly what the problem was. Not true.
Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts