SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer moving into full swing, I wanted to get my A/C checked and recharged. Howerver, when I kick the ACC into Low, the car only blows air from the vents; not air conditioning. When I checked the condensor with the car on, I could see that the a/c clutch wasnt kicking on. Checked the power coming to the condensor and its not getting anything. Fuses looked good, but I couldnt find the relay for it, to check and see if its clicking on. Im at a loss here guys. My Haynes manual is complete junk, and apart from hardwiring the compressor to the fuse box, im not sure where to go next. If anyone knows something I dont, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I posted a link only a few days ago with a diagnosis procedure so if you do a quick search back you should find it. In fact, because it's still in my browser autocomplete http://www.thesaabsite.com/9000/9000ACC2.htm

Basically, if there isn't enough refrigerant, the low pressure switch won't close and because that's in series with the rest of the power to the compressor clutch, nothing will happen.

First thing I'd suggest is to get the system checked for refrigerant, no point doing anything if it's low or empty i'm afraid.

David.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
djtaylor said:
Basically, if there isn't enough refrigerant, the low pressure switch won't close and because that's in series with the rest of the power to the compressor clutch, nothing will happen.
About six weeks ago I fitted a new AC compressor to my car, and had it re-gassed. For a long time (perhaps years) the AC system was not used due to a seized compressor (previous owner).

The AC worked great until today, and I now get ambient temperature air through the vents when the AC's on. ACC calibration shows no faults.

When the ACC is switched to Auto by an assistant, in the engine bay I can hear the compressor engage. From what you write, I assume the engaging clutch means that there's sufficient refrigerant in the AC system...?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Matthew said:
When the ACC is switched to Auto by an assistant, in the engine bay I can hear the compressor engage. From what you write, I assume the engaging clutch means that there's sufficient refrigerant in the AC system...?
Yep. It could be that it has a leak and that there's enough refrigerant to allow the low pressure switch to close and thus the clutch to operate but not enough to really produce much of a cooling effect.

Put your hand on the two pipes, the thinner one will be hot, the thick one should be very cold and likely will have condensation on it.

If it's just cool then it sounds like you have a leak or the other option is that the flap motor is stuck and still allowing some warm mix from the heater to give you an ambient type feel.

Very exciting AC compressor clutch video :)

David.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts