SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight on my way shifted from 2nd to 3rd
It slid into the spot but i didnt feel it shift in a let out the clutch and got nothing. So i want for 4th, same thing , nothing. 5th was still there.

I pulled over stopped the car and went through the gears Everything was there. I left again, went from 2nd to 3rd and it shifted in just fine and then into 4th just fine......

Then leaving a light i once again had no 3rd and 4th :/
the coupler seems fine -did a sight check-

Any help please?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im stumped.

I really dont want to take this to a tranny place to get it fixed but at this rate i dont know what else to do

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Well if the coupler is fine it must be something inside the box then, which means it's a box out job.

You could start to look for some used/reconditioned gearboxes around, and get an idea of the market, in case you need a rebuilt. I think you can find a compatibility chart on www.quasimotors.com

·
Registered
247 Posts
FirstTimeSaab said:
Tonight on my way shifted from 2nd to 3rd
It slid into the spot but i didnt feel it shift in a let out the clutch and got nothing. So i want for 4th, same thing , nothing. 5th was still there.

I pulled over stopped the car and went through the gears Everything was there. I left again, went from 2nd to 3rd and it shifted in just fine and then into 4th just fine......

Then leaving a light i once again had no 3rd and 4th :/
the coupler seems fine -did a sight check-

Any help please?
remove it and check it completely, you might be surprised ?;)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Coupler can be good but the connecting sleeve might have slipped or the pinch bolt come loose enough for the shift rod to go out of alignment. There are TWO connections, the rubber isolated universal joint and a slip joint secured by a pinch bolt. If the pinch bolt comes loose it still looks properly installed but the shifter rod can slip inside the clamping ring that is supposed to be tightly clamped by the pinch bolt.

To re-align you need to release select reverse, then loosen the pinch bolt, then slip the shift gaiter up and insert a 4 mm rod (drill bit works fine) into the hole in the shifter base to lock the shifter in the correct relationship to reverse, then re-tighten the pinch bolt. Everything should line up and work fine. if not, then the shifter rods inside the gearbox are screwed up, but if that happens you shouldn't be able to get any gear.

If you can't select reverse then do not release the pinch bolt and then move the shifter until you can be sure of getting the box into reverse. To get the box in reverse without using the shift lever is fairly difficult with the box in the car. If you can't get reverse try releasing the pinch bolt and have a helper put the shifter over to first/second and hold it while the pinch bolt is secured, then reverse should be roughly where 4th gear would be, select reverse, be sure it is reverse, then release the pinch bolt, select reverse with the shifter (now free from the gearbox), align with the 4 mm rod and resecure the pinch bolt. Everything is keyed to line up while the box is in reverse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Superaero said:
Coupler can be good but the connecting sleeve might have slipped or the pinch bolt come loose enough for the shift rod to go out of alignment. There are TWO connections, the rubber isolated universal joint and a slip joint secured by a pinch bolt. If the pinch bolt comes loose it still looks properly installed but the shifter rod can slip inside the clamping ring that is supposed to be tightly clamped by the pinch bolt.

To re-align you need to release select reverse, then loosen the pinch bolt, then slip the shift gaiter up and insert a 4 mm rod (drill bit works fine) into the hole in the shifter base to lock the shifter in the correct relationship to reverse, then re-tighten the pinch bolt. Everything should line up and work fine. if not, then the shifter rods inside the gearbox are screwed up, but if that happens you shouldn't be able to get any gear.
If i get this to work I will be a very happy person.
Updates will come.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i adjusted the pinch bolt and changed the r and 5 engage a little -moved them over the tiniest bit but i still have the same result for 3rd and 4th gears

I can shift into them, release the clutch and nothing happens...
could this be caused by the coupler?
the shifting throw is still there and the placement and length seems right.
at this rate ill be going to a tranny place this week to see what they say.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
If you have two people available, have one watch the coupler while the other shifts. If the coupler is failing it should be obvious.

Normally when the coupler fails it is 3/4 that remains and 1/2 can be hard to find.

Later design couplers are less prone to failure and fit all 9000 model years.

It may be that you have an internal failure of the shift rod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the coupler is fine and now i think a tierod is done for....

ive driven this car for about 2 weeks -mostly highway- with the apc disconnected and have had nothing but problems.

anyone in new york wanna buy a 91 saab for 500 bucks?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts