SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been installing nitrous in my old saab 900i. In the begining car was without a turbo but i installed one. So the question is in the compression ratio, it's pretty high because engine is not original turbo and i haven't done anything to it. Nitro kit is Nx direct port EFi. http://foorumi.saabclub.fi/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33471&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=585 <- There you can find some pictures of it.

What kind of nozzles should i use ? Fuel 21 and Nos 18 ?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
OH.MY.GOD. :eek: that is AMAZING work! you have given me some new ideas :lol: as for your question, i really have no idea, but i just thought i'd point out that you have one kickass setup :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't help you answer any question about NOS, but I would like to know what you did! (I can't read finnish?) Is that a wet setup?

Tell us about it, it looks awesome!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm totally clueless about nitrous... but that looks cool for sure...

so there are valves for nitrous and for fuel. stupid question? so there are no more fuel injectors? what will control the fuel management?

I'm asking in earnest, i really have no clue about this stuff.

edit: saw more pics, now i see the injectors. so what does the "fuel" part of the "nitrous/fuel" valve do?

second edit: :eek:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
teej said:
I'm totally clueless about nitrous... but that looks cool for sure...

so there are valves for nitrous and for fuel. stupid question? so there are no more fuel injectors? what will control the fuel management?

I'm asking in earnest, i really have no clue about this stuff.

edit: saw more pics, now i see the injectors. so what does the "fuel" part of the "nitrous/fuel" valve do?

second edit: :eek:
when you run nitrous without extra fuel, it's like adding a whole lot more air with the same amount of fuel, it'll make you run really lean, so you gotta put more gas in with it

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
haha, that it does... the liquid nitrous sprayed into the intake is like... at least -100ºf, but even so, it's still essentially a whole lot of air being pushed into the engine

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's amazing, and I saw the link...also amazing. how much of this stuff car our cars handle?

...I have a N/A. Possibly a remedy to my turbo blues? ...or will it remedy my having a nice car blues as well?

-Alex

·
Registered
789 Posts
I saw the first page of the post but couldn’t get to the next page, really wanted to see the system finished… looks like it was off to a great start, does anyone know how it ended up?

I was running 20’s and 21’s on mine but am having some fuel issues. I will be getting “back in to it” when we finish getting the new garage ready.

I didn’t think there was enough material to tap the intake without welding a boss to the intake. Another question is why did he put the nozzles so far away from the fuel injectors? Was this for a better mixture?

I was told to keep the nozzles close as possible to the combustion chamber and that so close to the plenum or the larger part of the intake may cause back firing….

What I ended up doing is welding ½ thick aluminum “pucks” to the intake and then machining them down to get the depth I needed for the nozzles….

http://www.saab-stuff.com/Garage/PuttPutt2/3/2.jpg

I have to find and upload a picture of the completed set up.

I’m running a 15LBS bottle with the purge nozzle just below the drivers wiper and a remote opener, still needs to be finished up but nothing like cruising the local hot spot and “purging”….. you should see the looks….

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it is wet setup with piranha nozzles. Each "nozzle" has two nozzles one for nitro and the other for gas. You can change nozzles so it is quite easy to adjust fuel/air ratio. Kit is made by NX and is bought from finnish speed shop called partboys (www.partboys.net).

There is separate valves for fuel and nos. Inline for fuel valve comes from the original line (there is two big bosch pumps to feed fuel in the line), after the original valves, so the fuel pressure is same all the time in NX nozzles if you calculate it against boost pressure, Nos pressure is so high that the boost pressure doesn't effect it.

Nos really lowers air temperature about -50 celcius so for example you have to use teflon in connections because it holds if temperature is so low..

I relly don't know how much it can handle, but most of the parts does fit in original turbo engine if this nonturbo engine can't take it anymore.

Nozzles are so far away from the fuel injector because it was easiest to put them there, in the manifold id straigth spot there. Not safest choich but seems to work..

·
Registered
491 Posts
you can post pictures. I dont think that there are any limitations (other than the usual crude or offensive pics). I'm sure that if there is a problem, the admin will politely remove it with no hassle or penalty etc.

I want to see some nitros set up pics!!! (cheap homeage systems preferably) :cheesy:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I believe you can post photo's but they have to be a certain size and what not.
I'd like to see some picture too

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
photo restrictions is no more than 6 pics per post, and that's the only one so far as i know :confused:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
please don't try this at home.

I have just looked at every page (to date) on moonlight tunings link on the first post of this thread. I dont know how to say this nicely, but I will try the best that I can. In my humble opinion that car is going to burn. The kit looks nice, but the hardware-store tech. applied to it's installation is dangerous (trying to be nice, deep breaths....). I realize the car is/was built up for track events, but that does not mean saftey issues should take the back seat (like a high pressure gas cylinder strapped to a folding armrest, or the line from said cylinder trailing on the floor:eek: ; deep breaths....dont want to start a list). I saw more blunders in the install pics than I could possibly list. I urge all of you to use that link as a learning tool for how not to do-it yourself, and hopefully how to improve on it.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
yea I would relocate the nitrous bottle to the rear trunk area.I thought nitrous bottles were susposed to have vents that open at a certain pressure to keep the tank from exploding.and those vents were to go outside the car.this tank doesnt appear to have that vent.much safer to relocate tank to the back and have a remote valve.Then you have more HP at the last lap also then you dont have the system armed the whole event...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No fear in my car :evil:

Car is build just for fun. NX nitro sets are very popular in states, and safe. Car is illegal in finland anyway.. Some people told me 50 000 kilometers ago that the car doesn't work or is going to burn, and still it's going today, don't know strong but going :eek:

Car is good example than you can take out unbeliveble power from original saab engine, body is original and car is really difficult to drive with this power outlet, so to biggest treath for my safety is driving behavior of old saab 900. Because the car is build for 100hp n/a engine, suspension and stering, tyres and gearbox is not desinged for 500hp. I just can't imagine what happens if for example driving saft (?) breaks down during full acceleration...

Budjet of my car is 3000euros. And thats the prise i'm selling the car if somebody wants it..

So don't take it so seriously..I'm just having fun :cheesy:

And next summer we are going to drive quartermile, last summer without nitrous best time was 14sek and 170km/h with standard street tyres size 195 65 15"

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I love Finland :cheesy:

Edit

As for nitrous and safety... locally there was a kid with a Sunfire, maybe 2 years ago he had a little "boom" and there was nothing left of him and it was raining pieces of Sunfire for 2 days :lol: He was putting the nitrous in a tank for a propane barbecue! :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeah, that girl has right attitude :cheesy:

I just don't know how to be afraid..but maybe i lern someday..

I'm removing the rear spoiler and making lighter bonnet now. Without rear spoiler car looks more original i8.. More sleeper :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts