SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my plugs recently and saw the new NGK plugs had a part number BCPR7EY-N-11. Did a search on this forum and saw that the new plug replaced the old BCPRE7S-11 a few years ago. Something about a new electrode.

Then I went to NGK's website and saw that they still suggest BCPR7ES-11 for my 1996 9000!!
They also show another plug BCPREIX-11 which has an Iridium tip and is the high-performance model. Has anyone on the forum ever used this Iridium plug?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Use the NGK plug that the label in the car sez to.
Variation puts your DI cassette at risk.
Iridium plugs are basically for Fool purchase, Iridium plugs were developed to run (not deveop lead fouling deposits) under V Hi Lead Fuels..such as old and increasingly obolete Aviation Fuels.
You using Hi lead Fuel? could you even Buy any ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, just to make sure that everything is clear!

I spoke to NGK USA and they confirmed that the BCPR7EY-N-11 plug is a more robust replacement for the original BCPRE7S-11. As for the Iridium plug, they said it is used by many of today's performance cars with non-leaded fuels, but they didn't quite convince me that it would be OK for my '96 9000 Aero because the gap is not 11 mm and is not easy to set because the metal is so hard.

I then asked Saab USA and they said "we don't know, check with your dealer".

I then asked Saab Canada and they said "do as the manual says".

I then asked NGK Canada, and they said "we've never heard of BCPR7EY-N-11".

You may well be right, Basre, but my car now goes like a bat out of hell. Only time will tell.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Robinb said:
As for the Iridium plug, they said it is used by many of today's performance cars with non-leaded fuels, but they didn't quite convince me that it would be OK for my '96 9000 Aero because the gap is not 11 mm and is not easy to set because the metal is so hard.
I have been studying this subject for days now and the reaons for the Irudium coated plug is very very high heat applications like Turbos that run very high boost, these BCPREIX-11 will not errod as fast as a simple copper core plug and they also have resistance in them, more than the BCPR7EY.

Your DI system makes no bones about the resistance in the plug as its more powerful than the magneto system, its a good thing if the gap is hard to set because the heat in the chamber will move it once its hot enough.

BCPREIX-11 is for harder driving and the BCPR7EY-N-11 is for a combination of both, great to hear your cars running great now.

I very highly rate NGK for our Saabs.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
If you want the original NGKs and not the new ones, eeuroparts still sells them.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
UK9K said:
I ran the Platinum 2+ ones for about a day and my N/A w/DI didn't like them at all.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I bought my car it had Bosch plugs in it and it ran like a dog on them. I changed them for NGK, but I had to change the DI too within a couple of months (I expected this and got the purchase price reduced accordingly). To me the seems like more evidence for the fact that using non-NGK plugs can damage the DI. Alright, it could have been co-incidence, but I'm not going to risk it, especially given the low cost of the correct NGK plugs!

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I had Champion plugs and i will never buy them ever again! I have considered Bosch ones but am happy with the NGK ones, i get some knock because i made the gap to small at 0.4mm when it should be 0.6mm

Remember the heat range has to be correct and the resistance if any.

NGK 10 thumbs up, if you want my Champion ones you can have em;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts