SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a chance to try these new and super awesome plugs? I've heard they can make you live forever! Just kidding, but in all seriousness, I'm just curious if anyone has tried them and for those that did, do you have any complaints? Please don't tell me have awesome they are compared to the 100k mile plugs you had in the car lol. Just looking for anyone that had genuine praise or criticism.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
I run them in my MK7 GTI that puts out low 400WHP. Work great.

Reactions: MadRomeo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been considering them from my wife's car and maybe to try later on in the Aero. I really don't like the idea of changing away from stock plugs, kinda makes me cringe lol

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Then don't....

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
Not to head off topic, but how do you get that kind of HP out of a GTI? Are you into serious mechanical building or do you just ECU tune the bejebus out of it?
They come from the factory with an iron block, forged rods, forged pistons, forged crank, and direct injection along with a very sophisticated and intelligent ECU. Add a bigger turbo, DP, IC and it will hit 400whp with a good tune. Add a bigger turbo and more fuel with some port injectors and run full E85 and 500whp+ is not too difficult to hit.

My car has a slightly bigger turbo than Golf R, upgraded fuel pumps, downpipe, intercooler, a custom tune and that's all you need.

Technology has come a long way.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
They come from the factory with an iron block, forged rods, forged pistons, forged crank, and direct injection along with a very sophisticated and intelligent ECU. Add a bigger turbo, DP, IC and it will hit 400whp with a good tune. Add a bigger turbo and more fuel with some port injectors and run full E85 and 500whp+ is not too difficult to hit.

My car has a slightly bigger turbo than Golf R, upgraded fuel pumps, downpipe, intercooler, a custom tune and that's all you need.

Technology has come a long way.
What year range are we talking to get those internals? How's are those engines for maintenance? I've heard stories of poor waterpumps that you have to pull the front end to change on VWs/ Audi, but I don't know any specifics.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
MK7 (2015+)
Maintenance? I change the oil once in awhile.....
Waterpumps still sucks but mine has been ok through 40k (knock on wood). It would be covered under powertrain warranty anyways. If not, oh well. I swapped the turbo, took front end apart to do the intercooler, did the downpipe and both fuel pumps myself. I'm no mechanic. Pretty sure I can handle a waterpump.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was more or less looking for the potential benefits for running the plugs. They seem to be cheaper than the stock plugs, but it's only a few dollars every 100k miles. Saabs always have ignition issues, even stock, but I know it mainly comes down to the coils, but I'm always a fan of the "while you're in there" upgrades. I'm replacing a plenum gasket and figured it would be a good time to replace everything. The ruthenium plugs I bought for the wife's car looked really decent, but that means nothing.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
No benefits unless you are pushing serious HP.

Reactions: MadRomeo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts