SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a few post regarding the plug, and also checked NGK's web site. NGK suggest the iridium plug is ok for the lpt.

Im getting great mileage, car starts up instantly, and runs great on the highway.

What's the downside? If there is an issue, what are the warning signs?

Thought I was good until I read another recent post on this topic.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I read a few post regarding the plug, and also checked NGK's web site. NGK suggest the iridium plug is ok for the lpt.

Im getting great mileage, car starts up instantly, and runs great on the highway.

What's the downside? If there is an issue, what are the warning signs?

Thought I was good until I read another recent post on this topic.
The car can run lean ( thus get great gas milage) with these plugs since Trioic 7 uses the plug for knock detection to retard ignition and reduce knock. If its not working well becuase you are using the wrong plug that will not happen..

End result is piston breakage.

Why not try fitting the proper NGK BCPR6ES and see if that does not give you the same gas milage, remember you are on fresh plugs of course its going to run better

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car can run lean ( thus get great gas milage) with these plugs since Trioic 7 uses the plug for knock detection to retard ignition and reduce knock. If its not working well becuase you are using the wrong plug that will not happen..

End result is piston breakage.

Why not try fitting the proper NGK BCPR6ES and see if that does not give you the same gas milage, remember you are on fresh plugs of course its going to run better
Potential piston breakage... Not good.
Ordering a new set today.

Btw, I ran some cheap gas last week and heard slots of knocking. Saving a couple bucks here makes no sense.

Thanks for the heads up !

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Potential piston breakage... Not good.
Ordering a new set today.

Btw, I ran some cheap gas last week and heard slots of knocking. Saving a couple bucks here makes no sense.

Thanks for the heads up !
Wow if you heard it you need to consider how much are not audible they can be deadly as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
80 miles on premium with 0 knock. (wholesale club gas)

Also talked to the napa guys about the plug and said I'd be 'downgrading' if I went back to the original plugs. Picked up a set anyway.

Too many variables. Who said this was simple ??!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your car isn't going to break if you keep running the iridiums you have now. The only difference is that they are a more controlled spark, they are colder plugs, and they last longer. If you are a more spirited driver most of the time the 7s are better, but 6s for a non-tuned lpt is more than enough. 7s are more ideal for a tuned aero or stock aero. If they seem to be running good that probably means they are running good so I would just keep using them till they are ready to be changed and then get regular copper 6s. Btw ngk suggest the regular copper BCPR7ES-11 and the iridium BCPR7EIX-11 as plugs you can run on an lpt.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Your car isn't going to break if you keep running the iridiums you have now. .
But he already has audible knocking, piston damage is on its way. :nono;
Why take a chance... I wonder if people think that the cars peope drove with busted pistons "had issues" that they could notice..

Knock is s silent killer of these engines..

for gosh sakes its a T7 car why do anything other than whats recommended by Saab engineers and especially if its a cheaper soltion...

and oh yeah I think the parts guy at Napa knows all about Saabs yeah listen to him...

Sheesh...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why take a chance... I wonder if people think that the cars peope drove with busted pistons "had issues" that they could notice..

Knock is s silent killer of these engines..

for gosh sakes its a T7 car why do anything other than whats recommended by Saab engineers and especially if its a cheaper soltion...

and oh yeah I think the parts guy at Napa knows all about Saabs yeah listen to him...

Sheesh...
There are varying opinions about the plugs, the main reason I asked the original question. Even NGK has an opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I also stated 'cheap gas'.

150+ miles since with no knocking
With the proper plugs your car can survive "on cheap gas" I have run 87 without issues no knock with the right plugs...

It is the comination of the incorrect plugs and chaep gas. As stated before with the wrong plugs T7's ability to detect knock is severly decreased so there you go, use the right plugs... ( this may be a good demo for everyone who thinks the plugs don;t matter, run "cheap" gas see if you get knock with the wrong plugs, change em out see if it goes away with the correct plugs.. you will see you can only use the correct plugs.

There are varying opinions about the plugs, the main reason I asked the original question. Even NGK has an opinion.
Yes there are lots of opnions and only one "correct" answer, use the proper plugs end of story ignore opinions and save your engine that is all

That what I thought until I asked for a part that wasn't readily available.
I'm sure technology has improved since 2000 and simply asked for a solution.

Seems like the napa guys, NGK, pep boys, etc can't get it right.

Thanks for your opinion.
The manual is not an opinion its what Saab engineers designed the car for..

Yes technology has changed but Saab engineers did not redesign T7 to take adavantage of it so why put new tech and more cost into a car that cannot take advantage of it and will be detrimental???

Yeah take what they have in stock that they want to dump on you because "it will work fine" that's a gereat idea.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
That what I thought until I asked for a part that wasn't readily available.
I'm sure technology has improved since 2000 and simply asked for a solution.

Seems like the napa guys, NGK, pep boys, etc can't get it right.

Thanks for your opinion.
Sorry that's not my opinion it is what the trionic system needs to function properly as designed by Saab engineers over ten years ago.

Why would it matter if spark plug technology has changed, nothing in your highly sophisticated engine management system has changed.

Its an under $2.00 purchase to boot.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for the input.

I started the thread because I've had 2 instances where I asked for specific parts and was given alternatives. The latter was from napa where I asked for the 6 and was given the 7. I didn't realize it until I got ready to change the plugs.

There is no argument about the original design of the T7 and what parts it needs / requires. Im hoping to learn about the plug so I can make educated decisions about upgrades in the future.

Thanks again for everyones opinions / suggestions / thoughts. Hopefully others will find this beneficial.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know far less about this than the other posters here but considering this discussion is over an $8 set of plugs, why not just buy the ones Saab recommends and put them in? The best case scenario here is that you get equal performance with the non-recommended plugs, and worst case being that you're getting inaudible knocking and other problems that damage your engine. Why risk it? Especially over $8. I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts