SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm working on a full suspension and brake overhaul on my '97 900S w/2.3L and standard 5-spd, including new CV axles. But I've run into a problem with the left/driver side axle. The one I purchased does not include the inboard housing, which seems to be fairly common for the 5-spd. You're supposed to re-use the existing housing.

So yesterday I cut the boot band on the old axle to remove the inboard housing, and I realized that in order to separate it I will need to cut a sort of metal ring/cap that's apparently crimped on. It step tapers, and the boot attaches to the outer edge of if. I see no other way to separate it. And looking/feeling inside it doesn't seem like it has the typical tripod roller assembly like on the new axle. It looks more like there are several large ball bearings that ride in sort of helical grooves. So even if I separate it, I doubt that the new axle will fit.

So I'm shopping online to purchase a complete assembly and it's really unclear whether any full units will fit the standard transmission. Some sites indicate that it is a direct fit, while others seem to indicate that a given part number will only fit the automatic, implying again that the existing housing needs to be reused.

The best option I've found so far (other than OEM) is the SA-8010 by TrakMotive/Surtrack. The pictures don't look exactly the same as the original, but similar.

If you have experience with this problem I'd like to know how you handled it, or whether you found a complete assembly that is a direct fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I'm looking at the TrakMotive online catalog and they do indeed list the SA-8010 as being a full assembly for both the automatic and standard transmission. While this gives me some confidence, it also makes me wonder why any axles listed for driver side automatic wouldn't also fit the standard. I do understand that these cars are getting older and sometime parts listings get a bit convoluted. But still makes me pause before clicking the "complete order" button.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts