SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an og93 to replace my crashed ng900 but the 93 doesn't have all the bells and whistles like my ng900 did (such as cruise control etc.). And i'm thinking whether i could swap some equipment over (perhaps the whole wiring harness?).
The 9-3 has a red DIC and no MAF sensor so it's a t5, although it's an LPT model but it does have the 2.0l, which i prefer over the 2.3l.
Same body type as my ng900, two door, no sunroof.
I assume the LPT's have the same engine internals as FPT's? I'm itching to fire up t5 suite again.
What are your guy's opinion on this?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
AFAIK, LPT's and FPT's are the same aside from the tune. I seem to recall that the ng900 LPT's didn't have a BPCv but that's easily added. so, you can get whatever HP you want from the motor inexpensively. If it's a T5, you probably want to get the crossflow intercooler from an OG 9-3 and the T25 hose and bits you need for that. But my T5 was very nice with just some tweaking to the "HOT" level even with the stock NG900 intercooler.

The OG9-3 T5 is a hybrid car. It has the T5 ECU and logic but the T7 electronics. I think you'd really have to stick with that.
You could swap the entire wiring harness and make the OG 9-3 an NG900. But, you'd have to do everything, ICE, TWICE, MIU, SID, ACC, SRS, seats, etc. . I'd say it's be a frame up job and I can't imagine it's worth the labor. Yes, it could be done, but not easily.

The T5 had mechanical cruise (throttle position controlled). You could move those parts easily from one T5 to antoher. I assume the ECU could handle it with ease but it might need a Tech II tweak or T5 Suite.

If you could be more specific about what other systems you'd like to move, we could comment on those more specifically. I think that would be the best course to have an operating car without a thousand hours invested.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFAIK, LPT's and FPT's are the same aside from the tune. I seem to recall that the ng900 LPT's didn't have a BPCv but that's easily added. so, you can get whatever HP you want from the motor inexpensively. If it's a T5, you probably want to get the crossflow intercooler from an OG 9-3 and the T25 hose and bits you need for that. But my T5 was very nice with just some tweaking to the "HOT" level even with the stock NG900 intercooler.
The pipes and hoses from my NG900 are still good, although the intercooler is twisted into a pretzel so i'll have to replace that. Local scrap yard has big BMW intercoolers for 50€ so i think i'll go with one of those. Finding an original SAAB part would be too difficult and expensive.

The OG9-3 T5 is a hybrid car. It has the T5 ECU and logic but the T7 electronics. I think you'd really have to stick with that.
You could swap the entire wiring harness and make the OG 9-3 an NG900. But, you'd have to do everything, ICE, TWICE, MIU, SID, ACC, SRS, seats, etc. . I'd say it's be a frame up job and I can't imagine it's worth the labor. Yes, it could be done, but not easily.
Ok, so a harness swap is out.

The T5 had mechanical cruise (throttle position controlled). You could move those parts easily from one T5 to antoher. I assume the ECU could handle it with ease but it might need a Tech II tweak or T5 Suite.
If i remember right you can swap t5's from one SAAB to another without tech II so if the cruise doesn't work with the original ECU i can pop in my NG900 ecu.

If you could be more specific about what other systems you'd like to move, we could comment on those more specifically. I think that would be the best course to have an operating car without a thousand hours invested.
Mainly the cruise control. Being tall is a bit of a bother because cars aren't designed with people like me in mind.
Feathering the throttle on long drives gets tiresome, especially in the ankle area, which only facilitates my existing "lead foot" problem :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Cruise control isn't part of T5, it's part of the car electronics... it moves the throttle around just as your foot would, T5 doesn't know the difference except - I believe - a signal which is sent to T5 letting it know cruise control is on. If that signal wasn't there, it would still work. With T7, cruise is essentially built into the ECM.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Jvan: are you saying Cruise with the T5 is handled out of the ICE? Or in the engine compartment module itself? I thought it had to run through the ECU to get speed info, etc.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Cruise on T7 is built into the ECM, since the ECM already controls throttle directly. T5 cars don't have an electronic throttle actuator, so there is an entirely discrete, separate system that handles cruise control. The stalk tells it what to do, the control module moves the throttle around, a speed signal from the ABS module tells it how fast you're going (well, how many pulses per km you're generating), and it tells T5 to limit boost pressure. You could literally pick up every piece from one car and transplant it into another. The speed signal is already there, all T5 ECMs will respond the same way to the boost limit signal on terminal 36. Hell, the system itself is generic ... you could could use it on a Ford.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell, the system itself is generic ... you could could use it on a Ford.
Quite intriguing, i thought the cruise control was rather elaborate because it would disable when brake/clutch pedals were pressed or the wheels slipped, had the memory etc..
So i just replace the stalks with the ones from my NG900, wire them up and the cruise will work?
Would be nice if the cruise control had a separate harness that ran alongside the main one, so that i could pull it from my NG900.
I assume WIS has all the wiring diagrams?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The cruise control control unit found in 900/9-3 is also found in some GM cars.. google Part 25141616, 25315547 or 65203690

that's found in Vauxhall Astras and Opel Omegas. Look familiar? It's identical to the Saab 900/9-3 unit

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also what about the gauge cluster?
I want to have the boost gauge because the LPT doesn't have one but i think gauge clusters need pairing through tech ii.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
It is NOT a hybrid - that's not a thing. It has "old" fuel injection and "new" body electronics. 900s had old fuel injection and old body electronics, and MY2000 9-3s had new fuel injection and new body electronics. It's just a crossover year is all. You can't do new fuel injection stuff on old fuel injection.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i bought the car, negotiated the price down to 400€, which i think is a fair price for the kind of car that it is.
First impressions were not bad, although i'm not a fan of blue leather/interior.
Under the engine bay it's covered in dust and green stuff, so it probably sat parked for quite a few years. There's water inside and a bunch of mold in the trunk, i'll clean it out, whatever.
Next on the list is an oil and filter change, also the vacuum lines are rotten.
Lifters are making noise, not much, so i hope the oil change will quieten them down.
When driving this car from the inside it kind of sounds like a diesel and i hate that sound :rolleyes:
When i'm sure that there's nothing's broken in the car i'll start modifying it, adding the cruise control and stuff.
It has a fancy pants pioneer head unit with a big touch screen installed, but it kinda feels like crap.
Also sound only comes from the rear right speaker, i'll fix that too, no problem.
Can post some pics if you guys are curious.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG-20200215-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20200215-WA0007.jpeg
Already replaced some vacuum hoses, the old ones were so far gone they were literally crumbling.
Also, where is the obd port? I get 7 CE flashes an would like to know more than "fuel/air mixture".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMG-20200215-WA0011.jpeg
Here's a pic of the stuff growing in the engine bay.
Posting the pics i had already, it's dark now and these three are it for now.
Actually i don't feel like modding the car anymore, i quite like it as is.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, the SID is in pretty bad shape in this one.
It's actually an easy fix i just reheat the ribbon cable on the LCD and it works again.
if anyone's interested how i do it here's a quick how-to.
First you need some high(-ish) temperature tape, masking/painters tape works fine.
Cut a strip of the tape and put it on the place in the ribbon you want to reheat.
Tape keeps the ribbon from melting, without it you'll melt a hole in the ribbon.
Then take a soldering iron an rub it on the tape, mild ressure.
Heat it by feel, don't overdo it, the plastic ribbon cable melts very easily, but you want to melt the glue that holds it on, not the cable.
Leave the tape there, peeling it off might peel off the ribbon cable.
Done, enjoy your pixels :)

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Do you use a T-head for that? Or just a regular tip on the soldering iron?

Blue leather? Or blue exterior, other color leather interior? The first requires a photo.

The OBD port is under the dash roughly centered under the steering wheel. If it's not there, you'll need to pull the panel that's there as someone has had it out and did not pull the OBD lead out properly before reassembly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you use a T-head for that? Or just a regular tip on the soldering iron?
I used a 3mm chisel tip, cone tips also work but you need to lean them flat and it makes it easy to accidantally melt the ribbon cable.
I wouldn't use a T-head since they're meant for soldering, where tolerances are much lower. The glue layer on the ribbon is super thin.
The tool used for ribbon gluing is flexible to conform to the shape of the ribbon and to keep uniform pressure.
Blue leather? Or blue exterior, other color leather interior? The first requires a photo.
Leather is the same color as the car, but the dash and the door panels are gray and that color combo doesn't sit well with me.
Also i don't like the wood in the dash, i'd much prefer the cherry from my NG900 but it's probably a colossal pain in the cheeks to swap.
I don't think the wood contrasts well with the gray dash, looks quite bland and washed out.
Maybe i'll get used to it.
The OBD port is under the dash roughly centered under the steering wheel. If it's not there, you'll need to pull the panel that's there as someone has had it out and did not pull the OBD lead out properly before reassembly.
Thanks. I was looking under the steering wheel area because that's where the plug was in my NG900.
I couldn't find it and thought maybe it was hidden somewhere else.
I'll fish it out no problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Before i got this 9-3 i was thinking of finding some base model NG900 and swapping stuff over from my NG900 SE, which is why i kept the car untouched.
Now that i have the 9-3 and know what i'll be swapping from my NG900 i can finally start pulling my NG900 apart and selling some parts, like the leather interior, for example.
Also should i try sell the SID and every techII paired piece of tech together?
Will be hard letting it go, the NG900 SE was my first car, probably the most polished turd on the block :rolleyes:;)

Ps: This reminds me! Gotta update "My SAABs" :)

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
My current ride has black seats and doors... and the only thing that was wood was the instrument panel. Looked complete out of place in my book. I loved the wood in my NG900 with red paint/beige interior, but it just didn't go with the more modern Viggen bits and the black. Maybe if you added the wood steering wheel, door handles, etc. I changed it back to a standard base gray instument panel and it looks much better... all monochrome now.

If you prefer, you can swap the black console, panels, glovebox, etc from the NG900. I did it with mine. The only part that doesn't swap will be the small panel over the ignition. You'll need to paint the gray 9-3 panel matte black. If you don't mind the gray dashboard with all that, it's an easy swap. There are other gray bits around... you have to decide how much you want to swap. Most of it is a perfect fit from NG900 to 9-3 and what's not you can just paint matte black. The gray 9-3 panels scratch easily so painting them is generally an upgrade.

We need photos of the blue interior!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts