SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a tape deck that works for my NG900 ('95 S), and I can't seem to get a unit operational. I'm in possession of 2 radios with different tape deck issues, and am wondering if there's one I should focus on.

• Original unit - All functions of the cassette player work, except it emits a constant, high-pitched squeal/whine. You can barely tell there is faint music trying to play.
  • New unit - Worked with the first cassette I put in, but now ejects any tape I put in. It will play for split second, then the Tape \ message appears, and the tape comes out.
Are there solutions to these issues, and if so, is there a unit I should focus my time on? Or should I just hunt for a working unit?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You might want to open up at least one unit and see what's happening. I fixed a 9-5 cassette which had a jam and the cage completely twisted. The squealing sounds like a slipping belt or misaligned pulley. The ejecting, I don't know, maybe the reason will become clear when opened.

You may also be able to make one good cassette out of the two--lots of small Phillips screws to take apart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a ‘95S and I got the deck to quit rejecting tapes by opening it and cleaning everything up. Check the drive belts and wheels too. If the rubber looks glazed and shiny you can rough them up with fine grit sandpaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts