SaabCentral Forums banner

hi, should i use 10w30 or 75w90 fro my 900ng my 1997 turbo cabriolet manual transmission?

• 10w30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75w90

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
should i use 10w30 or 75w90 fro my 900ng my 1997 turbo cabriolet manual transmission?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
A 1996 manual transmission originally specified 10W-30 or 10W-40 non-synthetic motor oil. This is in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have one, do a search online for a scanned version. It has lots of useful information. WIS should have that info as well.

Of course over the years the fluid may have been changed to ???.

The fluid Mimmi is suggesting will work. However you probably need to drain, fill, and drain. That is because we are not sure how well that fluid mixes with whatever the fluid in the transmission now. So that's quite a few euros.

I doubt it would hurt anything to use the motor oil like originally specified.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
My apologies, it was 10W-30 or 10W-40, not 5W30 as I posted. That's been fixed.

According to bulletin I found in WIS, if changing to the new fluid, you are supposed to drain whatever is in there, put in 1 (ONE) litre of the new stuff, drive enough to let the oil splash around, and then drain and add the specified 1.8 litres. So you'd need 3 litres to do the proper job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the oil can be easily replaced i will flush and replace. if it will require disassemle of the gearbox i will leave it as is...
same for clutch cable: when i realized that you need to dismantle a lot of components just to lubricate it i gave up heheh.
p.s. yesterday i ordered a tech2 chinese clone for 250€....

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
It does not require any disassembly. However the two plugs are hard to get at and can be very tight. People usually cut down an Allen key to be able to get at the plugs.

If you try, in order:
  1. Loosen the fill hole (top of transmission)
  2. Loosen the level plug (upper plug on side)
  3. Loosen the drain hole plug (lower plug on side)
You don't want to discover you can't refill the transmission after it's drained!

The top fill plug will give you an idea of what you're up against.

I couldn't find any useful instructions in WIS for NG900, but 2001 9-3 has full procedure for "changing fluid to different type".

·
Registered
20 Posts
The WIS for my '04 NG 6-speed, just says to add 2.2 L of the GM Manual Transmission Oil/Fluid (93165290) after a complete drain and does not mention the need to use the level plug.

Is the GM fluid an 80W oil? I've noticed that others are using the 75W90 GL-4 oils. (IE. Red Line MT-90).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts