SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My father borrowed my car for a couple of days. He calls me up the 2nd day and said there was coolant all over the ground. After thorough inspection and allowing the car to warm up to normal operating temp. there was no leak anywhere to be found. However there was a 25 degree celsius drop in temp that day in the evening. ANyone ever experience this?

I have yet to find out EXACTLY what happened.

Oh BTW, my car is 94 NG900 S 2.0L Turbo.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
Sounds like overflow from the expansion tank. Did he say if he had been driving it long and whether it was stop and go? And how hot it was outside at the time? Was the level low when you got it back? It should have been, and if it was not, could he have parked over someone else's earlier spill? Regardless, monitor the level in the expansion tank for awhile to be sure you have no problem.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
It is a temperature change situation,perhaps.. .

Metal contracts and expands, so consider the cylinder head or the heater pipe O rings.

But then, maybe someone overfilled the expansion tank and this does create problems...
The level lines are hard to read - I draw my own lines. As long as it is 1/2 to 3/4 full, I do not worry about it...
Same good old design as Volvo and VW use....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well still no clue. My car is still away. This is the last time a family member gets to borrow it. My brother had a good look under the hood and underneath the car. No signs of leaks. This is very weird. I gave him all the service manuals when he borrowed it, so if there is a problem, he should be able to find it. this is the 2nd day, no leaks, no drop in the expansion tank.

very very weird

No my A/C does not work. Hole in condenser.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As long as the expansion tank level does not drop and is properly monitored, there is NO leak..

Keep checking it- takes but a second...

The last time I let a family member borrow my car, it was returned with a seized engine !!

·
Registered
505 Posts
you sure there wasn't just coolant already on the ground before he parked where he did?

matt

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YO GET THIS! It wasn't coolant. It was just water!! My god they drove me crazy for a week. Some peoples english:

Water= coolant
coolant = water gggrrr

ANywhoo Apparently It came from the front bumper somewhere. Does anyone know where I can find the Drain diagrams? You know the hoses that collect run off water and exit out somewhere underneath? Some of them are probably clogged and I wanna clean them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
From the front "hidden bumper" area I had a leak of the windshield washer fluid due to a shot valve.

Further back( 2' or so) there are condensense(sp?) drains for the evaporator. AKA, the elephant's nose...

This coolant - water problem thing does exist(however rare) - going back 60 to 80 years ago, the alcohol-water mix was changed in the summer-time for straight water; some simply do not keep up with the times...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts