SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John in MA, contact via PM.

I'm looking for a NG900 project (aka low budget save it from the boneyard) convertible. Widespread rust and a nasty tbone to the passenger side have taken the gleam off my 97 and its clock is ticking. Might also consider OG9-3.

Looking for: Minimal if any rust in floor plan, trunk, boot lid and most importantly rear shock towers. Ideally dent free body from pillars/doors all the way back - good paint is a plus. Front strut housings in decent shape. Good interior - a very good carpet would be great!. Good sealable top with no holes. OK if top does not work as long as no parts are missing. Ideally steering and ABS are good. And last, no missing parts. Don;t care if the mechanical stuff all works or not- just as long as it's all there so I can try to repair.

I paid $450 for my last 900 and put in a couple of K (bought thinking engine was only major issue - haha - also bad transmission, suspension, brakes, pretty much everything..). Hoping to find similar, willing to go a bit higher dependent on how good the body and mechanical is but not looking for a 2K car to put right on the road.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
2 Posts
John,

Not sure how much you're willing to travel, but I may have a deal for you that makes it worth your while....was about to post this in the for sale section, but I don't have enough posts to my name to do so, so I can at least reply to you here.

I have a 2001 Viggen Convertible that I bought as a project car about about a year ago, with the intent of my son and I working on it. He hasn't shown much interest in it, and honestly I've lost interest too and need the space, so I'm looking to just move it cheap.

Mileage: 162,8XX

Good:
Southern car (Arizona, Louisiana, and Florida)---clear title and carfax.
No rust anywhere, except a little bubbling around the windshield seal--I'll include pics.
Body is great, with the exception of a dent on the passenger rear quarter panel, and some damage on the front spoiler from (I assume) a curb.
Engine runs great when it runs (more on that in a sec) and transmission shifts really smoothly
Interior is in really nice shape.....
A/C works perfectly and is really cold
All doo-dads (technical term) work---cruise, heated seats, stereo, power locks and windows. etc.
I believe the top is in good shape but in full admission I retracted it when I got it (it's been in my garage for a year now) and I'm going off year old memories.
Brakes are great, and ABS too.
Handling is very solid, and from my inspection all bushings seemed to be in acceptable shape.

The bad:
-Top doesn't work----I haven't gotten around to diagnosing it yet but just peeking around I can see a broken hydraulic line at the connector fitting behind the driver's side rear panel.
-Engine issue---After doing some repairs (detailed below), I was taking it out for a shakedown drive. It was running really, really well, so I decided to get into the boost quite a bit. Bad idea. The metal pipe (not the cobra pipe, the one to the right of it that goes in front of the heat shield) popped off, and the car shut off. I was able to restart it and get it home....(no unusual noises or drama) but I suspect a backpressure issue somewhere and/or a head gasket issue.
-Usual missing pixels on SID and climate control
-Driver's seat belt is locked (locked in fully retracted position) but I have replacement I ordered from a vendor on here.
-It has cheapie replacement wheels, but they don't look completely terrible I suppose, opinions may vary.
-Cupholder broken--replacement used working one included.
-Paint fade on rear spoiler, and rest of car could use a good polish/wet sand.

Repairs I've done: Several Exhaust studs were broken ----I replaced 5 of them (and the gasket) and got tired of messing with the 6th so I put it all back together with the intent of drilling it out later. No exhaust leak noise currently.
-Valve cover gasket replaced

I have about $2500 into this, but honestly just ready to move on to a different project. I'll take $500 for it, and I'll help a buyer with shipping (that they arrange) or I'll be glad to help push it on a trailer.

Why so cheap? Because it's damn near impossible to sell a running Saab in the southeast, much less one that isn't, and I figure $500 is what I could get from a scrapper or from donating it to charity. I have a conscience and a soul though, and I would really, really like to avoid that route for a car this special. Just LMK if you have any questions.

JT

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left you a "visitor message" which you should be able to view in your account settings. Messaging does not always work so well on these forum sites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interested in the Viggen if John's not

I have a friend here in South Carolina that likes to work on Viggens. I showed him the pictures and he would be happy to take it off your hands for that price.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy to say it's en route to its new home in MA. Pretty excited to dive into this build.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Pitched up yesterday and it looks great! We New Englanders know how to appreciate a Southern body! Hope to dive into engine in the next few weeks but head gasket and hydraulic top lines are at the top of the list.

My hat's off to ViggenJT for not cashing out and parting or scrapping the car. The car definitely deserves the chance to get back on the road and he really helped make that happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1995 turbo 5 spd turbo vert runs and drives really no damage minor scratches , roof doesnt really work itself. 130k miles. all original parts. cheap . in tennesee let me know for more info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts